Thread: Filter size of Carl Zeiss Jena Apo-Tessar 60cm F9?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Filter size of Carl Zeiss Jena Apo-Tessar 60cm F9?

Can anyone confirm the filter size of the Carl Zeiss Jena Apo-Tessar 60cm F9?

Re: Filter size of Carl Zeiss Jena Apo-Tessar 60cm F9?

I can't help, but will say, they probably made them long enough that the filter size may have changed more than once. (also, the oldest Apo-Tessars are f/10, so, take my input with a grain of salt)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Can anyone confirm the filter size of the Carl Zeiss Jena Apo-Tessar 60cm F9?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I don't have it at hand (I think I'll be able to measure the threads tomorrow) but I am sure the thread is totally non-standard, and no manufacturer ever produced filters in sizes like that.

Mine is of the later 4/4 GDR era one. I am not sure the older Apo-Tessars had exactly the same barrel sizes.

Most process lenses had slots in the barrel for aperture disc (not always round) or filters (often Red, Green, Blue color separation filters). Thread on front filters are not common on process lenses as they would be on photographic camera lenses.

Difficulty occurs when these photographic camera lens norms are applied to process camera lenses that were not designed to have filters used in this way.

Bernice

My 60cm f/9 CZJ Apo-Tessar (later version) has M83x0.75 on the front.
    My 1961 60cm f/9 Industar-11M which is a copy of the previous CZJ Apo-Tessar version, has M84x0.75.
    Neither make any sense, filter-vise.

You might need to get a machinist to make an adapter ring. I have 14” and 19” Red dot Artars that I needed to adapt to a normal filter size. The advantage is that you also can get closer to standardizing your filter sizes.

I'd just cement an empty filter ring on the barrel front - inside or outside that 83mm. If pressed against the original barrel, the ring will be perfectly parallel to it. And no centering is needed if only filters are to be used and no supplementary lenses.

But actually I even did not bother to do anything like the above. I just press my filters to the lens and use some Scotch tape to temporarily fix them....

Thanks for all the replies. Bernice’s note about the aperture slots may solve for what I’m working on. Mine does have the slot so I may be able to make a disk filter and use that. If that fails, Conrad’s point about a custom filter ring may do the job. SK Grimes should be able to make easy work of that. In this case, I don’t want to cement anything to the lens so those other options should offer good solutions. Thanks everyone for the help.