Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exposure Worksheet

Re: Exposure Worksheet

Specifying the Sheet Number (iPad screen capture)...

The sheet number is specified with the up and down arrows. Post #9 shows the button and drop-down fields filled out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WS 4.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	223282

Specifying the Film (iPad screen capture)...

I have HP4+, HP5+, Portra 160 and Portra 400 in the drop-down menu, in 8x10 and 4x5. Post #9 shows the button and drop-down fields filled out.

Name:	WS 5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	223283

Specifying the Lens (iPad screen capture)...

I choose the lens from this drop-down menu, which has all of my large format lenses. Post #9 shows the button and drop-down fields filled out.

Name:	WS 6.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	223284

Choosing an ISO (iPad screen capture)

I've set up this drop-down menu for box speed and a 1-stop push for each of FP4+, HP5+, Portra 160 and Portra 400. The post-correction ISO field has the same drop-down menu. Post #9 shows the button and drop-down fields filled out.

Name:	WS 7.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	223285

Choosing an Aperture (iPad screen capture)...

This drop-down menu has apertures for f/4.5 to f/64 in one-third stop increments. As with ISO, the post-correction Aperture field has the same drop-down menu. Post #9 shows the button and drop-down fields filled out.

Name:	WS 8.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	223286

Last one, Filters (iPad screen capture)...

I've set up the worksheet with three fields for filters. Each field has the same drop-down menu. For this iteration of the worksheet, I've used the filter maker's specifications for filter factor and stop values. Post #9 shows the button and drop-down fields filled out.

Name:	WS 9.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	223287

Man, if it takes half as long to deal with all this in the field as it does to post about it here, I don't see how you get any photos made at all.

Me, with a pencil, records everything I need for usual set-ups in about seven seconds. If I need to calculate exposure for reciprocity, bellows extension etc., it takes about another 10 seconds.

I spend a lot more time walking around composing and metering... Sometimes less is more.

Doremus

Here's what I have been using for the past 40+ years. Measures about 6 1/2 x 4 inches. Pages reside in a bright orange 6 ring DIETZGEN Engineers' Field Book. Square box is for quickly drawing the scene that I am photographing, with lines drawn to it from the ZONES on the left side. "INDEX" is now used to indicate the ASA used and the film holder's # and side A or B. i.e. 125 06A. "NEG. NO." starts with the last two digits of the year, "-", and negative number. i.e. 02-045. The "Notes" three lines are always marked with the lens used first. Then other information that I deemed necessary to record. Several times I decided to redesign the layout. But having free access to a copy machine back in the 1980s, I made hundreds of copies of this exposure worksheet and always seemed like a waste to throw them away. Looking back on some of the first ones I filled out, I note Spotron, Super-XX, Edwal FG-7 c 9% Sodium Sulfite solution, Valour and Varigam, and other things that have disappeared years ago....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails expsheet.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Man, if it takes half as long to deal with all this in the field as it does to post about it here, I don't see how you get any photos made at all.

Me, with a pencil, records everything I need for usual set-ups in about seven seconds. If I need to calculate exposure for reciprocity, bellows extension etc., it takes about another 10 seconds.

I spend a lot more time walking around composing and metering... Sometimes less is more.

Doremus
    Doremus, we come from different directions. I respect yours. Perhaps you could respect mine. It's hard to imagine a more ridiculous analogue vs digital debate than one about making exposure records. I spent some time explaining the worksheet in case others are interested in making one. In fact it's quick to use, contains the information that I want to record, is a snap to duplicate, and there's an immediate backup in the cloud. Several of the fields can be populated in advance. You made our own with Microsoft Word, but you prefer printing it out and using a pen and paper. Good for you.

I especially don't appreciate this: "I spend a lot more time walking around composing and metering... Sometimes less is more. "

I realise that many people practice photography the way you describe. I do it for street photography with a 65 years young Leica M3. In other cases, I do my walking around and most of my metering as part of scouting and planning. I've already explained that, responding to an earlier post of yours.

I don't doubt that you've read post #6, but apparently you've decided to ignore it. I scout and plan, in part using Artist's Viewfinder and PhotoPills, precisely because I don't want to walk around with large format camera gear looking for spur of the moment inspiration. Both of those apps are quite successful, which suggests that I'm not the only person who works this way. My approach is strongly influenced by making videos, where planning saves a lot of time, as well as trouble later. I don't expect you to take the same approach as me. Perhaps you could recognise that not everybody wants to work the way that you do.
    Last edited by r.e.; 10-Jan-2022 at 06:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Square box is for quickly drawing the scene that I am photographing, with lines drawn to it from the ZONES on the left side.
    I use my iPhone to take some photos of the scene. Yes, I realise that that doesn't do the job of Zone System sketches