Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Mini Tripods Solutions for Macro 4x5?

Re: Mini Tripods Solutions for Macro 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    This is a promo video for Induro's ground tripod, which it calls the Baby Grand.

Bingo...exactly what I am after. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    And this is Benro's promo video for its Hi-Hat.

As you can see, the two triopods are virtually identical in design, although they come off the shelf with different features. One version is made in aluminium. These are significantly less expensive than the RRS that I have, and appear to be well-made. Note that the feet of both tripods can be screwed to a plywood board if desired.

There are a fair number of YouTube videos about these tripods. One of them is by a guy who shoots video for the Kansas City Chiefs. He uses the Benro and would probably agree with LabRat's comments in post #15. He strongly recommends kneepads

Even better....given that these are so small, I don't see any reason to go to carbon fibre. Also...I actually have a set of light knee pads that fit over pants! And I often have a Thermarest Z-Lite pad I can lay down on. Gotta be comfortable!

Thanks again.

This is what I use along with a leveling base:

https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-LS-22.../dp/B07GKKB416
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This is what I use along with a leveling base:

https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-LS-22.../dp/B07GKKB416
    Nice! Have you had it for a while? Looks like a great deal.

I've been using it for a couple months and really like it. The legs can splay at almost flat, and the whole thing is just exactly like a normal tripod, but short. I love the leveling base especially.

I used it once to have a 4x5 Speed Graphic so low the front drop bed was literally submerged in water on the beach. Can't really do that any other way easily. My normal tripod can flip the head to be upside down but it's a real PITA to get setup.

For transport, it has a little 1/4 20 bolt attachment on the side of the head, and I basically made a little bolt on a chain with a loop for a carabiner. Then I just attach it on my backpack.

Unfortunately the model w/ leveling base built in seems to have been discontinued.

Thanks Corran! Sounds like the ideal solution. I agree about flipping the centre post upside down...PITA! ...and it doesn't address tight situations. For $99, this is an easy decision. The levelling base is not an issue either as a mini-leveller is always in my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Unfortunately the model w/ leveling base built in seems to have been discontinued.
    Amazon has the levelling base version under a different model name: https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-LS-22.../dp/B0844H8QNK. It costs more, $150. B&H sells the levelling base version, and the flat top version with a ball head.

Most tripods with levelling bases and half balls use a common standard, which may come originally from the Gitzo Systematic series. The parts from the various manufacturers tend to be interchangeable. This can matter if you want the option later of changing out between a levelling base and flat base or using a video head. If this matters, it would be worth checking out whether the same can be done with Lefoto's Ranger tripods.

Ah, there it is. My original purchase link gave me an error and a few days ago I had seen it was out of stock so I thought maybe it had been discontinued.

I assume that model and the standard $99 model use a 3/8 screw to mate to most standard heads/bases. Mine has the Lefoto-branded but Arca-type QR attachment/plate which I wanted to mate with my Arca-compatible stuff (though it ended up not quite conforming to the Arca standard).

Quote Originally Posted by Myriophyllum View Post
    Hi,

I have used a Berlebach tripod with reversed column with a Technika. Works fine.

Jens
    The Berlebach Mini-Tripod looks good for what you want: https://www.berlebach.de/en/?bereich=details&id=249.

Tripod-head with diameter 76 mm = 3 inches
    Weight: 0,68 kg = 1.50 lbs.
    Packed length: 26 cm = 10 inches
    Minimum height: 5 cm = 2 inches
    Maximum height: 36 cm = 14 inches
    Load tolerance: 15,00 kg = 33.07 lbs.
    Vibration damping: very good

For a temporary low to the ground solution I once screwed the QR base to a piece of 2x6x12. It was a little too short so I stacked it on top of another 2x6 scrap.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography