Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mini Tripods Solutions for Macro 4x5?

Re: Mini Tripods Solutions for Macro 4x5?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrunner View Post
    Thanks...good option and I appreciate you have experience with your own 4x5....the Pedco wasn't selected for the cost, more for the form factor.
    This is a promo video for Induro's ground tripod, which it calls the Baby Grand.

And this is Benro's promo video for its Hi-Hat.

As you can see, the two triopods are virtually identical in design, although they come off the shelf with different features. One version is made in aluminium. These are significantly less expensive than the RRS that I have, and appear to be well-made. Note that the feet of both tripods can be screwed to a plywood board if desired.

There are a fair number of YouTube videos about these tripods. One of them is by a guy who shoots video for the Kansas City Chiefs. He uses the Benro and would probably agree with LabRat's comments in post #15. He strongly recommends kneepads

ProMediaGear, based in Chicago, made this video about the Riser in the photos in post #10. At 6:25, the presenter shows how the half bowl top can be changed out for a flat top. While ProMediaGear calls this a Hi-Hat, and it can be used as one, I see it more as a Riser.

The Hi-Hats in posts #13 and #14 are made by a Vancouver, British Columbia company called Proaim. There are a number of YouTube videos about Proaim's Hi-Hats.

I really like the feet with holes

Screw it to anything, walls, ceilings, dirt

I have a pile of those long modern lags

and use them on this old house hanging heavy gear

I do own an Induro "Baby Grand" that is great for some applications, but for macro work out in the field (e.g. wildflowers at ~1:2) the most practical tripod I've worked with is a Uniloc "System" 1700. The legs are almost infinitely adjustable, and the "boom" column allows for a "ground set" around a pretty large radius. Or to put it another way, a traditional tripod has a fixed cylindrical footprint, while the Uniloc allows you to maneuver four aluminum sections (three legs, boom column) into whatever space that is available.

http://www.uniloctripod.com/index.html
    Last edited by CreationBear; 6-Jan-2022 at 05:54. Reason: Homer really was nodding...

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I do own an Induro "Baby Grand" that is great for some applications, but for macro work out in the field (e.g. wildflowers at ~1:2) the most practical tripod I've worked with is a Unilock "System" 1700. The legs are almost infinitely adjustable, and the "boom" column allows for a "ground set" around a pretty large radius. Or to put it another way, a traditional tripod has a fixed cylindrical footprint, while the Unilock allows you to maneuver four aluminum sections (three legs, boom column) into whatever space that is available.

http://www.uniloctripod.com/index.html
    Very interesting. I've never heard of Uni-loc tripods, so I went looking and came across this December 2020 video. The presenter is a wildlife photographer named Mike Lane, who is a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society. He says that the same person designed the Benbo and Uni-loc tripods and that they are essentially the same. The video compares the two and talks about their uses. Benro's version is still sold. However, as of December 2020 Lane says that Uni-loc tripods are unavailable despite the fact that there's a website. The website looks like it hasn't been updated in a very long time.

Mr. Lane sounds like an accomplished, interesting gentleman. He has a website as well as a very active YouTube Channel: https://www.nature-photography.co.uk

Last edited by r.e.; 6-Jan-2022 at 06:53.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I do own an Induro "Baby Grand" [/URL]
    What do you think of the build quality? I've seen Induro's and Benro's ground tripods at B&H, but I don't have hands-on experience with them.

Bolex made some tripods that look like they were intended for close-ups. I've only seen pictures of them so I don't know how well the concept works.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/14432211180...gAAOSws~Rhr6xZ

Hi,

I have used a Berlebach tripod with reversed column with a Technika. Works fine.

Jens

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    What do you think of the build quality? I've seen Induro's and Benro's ground tripods at B&H, but I don't have hands-on experience with them.
    As for the Uni-loc, I picked mine up pretty cheaply over on the UK auction site--albeit before the current Covid unpleasantness started to play hob with shipping. I'll look forward to the videos from Mr Lane--Uni's aren't for everybody, but they can put a camera just about anywhere you need it to be.
    (FWIW, like a lot of folks my first experience with the design was with the Benbo version, which I found just "okay" with a DSLR--the "System" Uni-locs are altogether burlier beasts.)

Otherwise, I found the Induro well-thought out and appointed, with the bomber build I associate with that brand. (I've got a 75mm half-ball that gives me a bit more adjustment.) I also like the articulated rubber feet that can be positioned for maximum friction (as well as being able to be staked/screwed for more stability.)