Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xenotar condition opinions?

Xenotar condition opinions?

Hey, all! I just got this Xenotar 150mm 2.8. The seller wasn't really upfront with its condition, but as long as it doesn't affect the image, I'm cool with it. I'm currently waiting for my 4x5 so I don't have a way to test it, so I'm looking for your opinions. A large format friend of mine says that it will most likely shoot fine, maybe with some flare shooting into the sun, etc. What do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9655.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	223052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9658.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	223053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9659.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	223054

Re: Xenotar condition opinions?

That's a pretty badly scarred lens. The damage won't affect sharpness of the images it makes, but it will affect contrast and perhaps introduce a degree of "soft focus" fuzziness. I have a 105mm Xenotar that has about twice as much damage to the front element and it still makes decent photos: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0aefb434_k.jpg
    and: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8668fc11_h.jpg
    Both of those images were made with the lens stopped down one stop. The softness would decrease if I stopped down more, and the "glow" around highlights would decrease somewhat. Its a very badly damaged lens and yet when I want a softer look, its one of my best lenses! I think there's way too much emphasis placed on the acquisition of "pristine" lenses sometimes. Sure, a flawless lens is nice to have sometimes, but I can tell you from personal experience, flawless isn't always an asset. I have a 240mm Schneider Symmar-S with flawless glass, and its contrast and sharpness are brutal. I rarely use it now.
    So, you can certainly make good images with that lens. But I wonder - how much were you charged for it?? Xenotars are not cheap these days, but that damage should have reduced the price significantly.

This one was $1600, so not the $5k+ you might see typically.

Quote Originally Posted by fullsteam75 View Post
    This one was $1600, so not the $5k+ you might see typically.
    Yikes! That is outrageous. IMO you paid far too much for it, given its condition.
    Last edited by paulbarden; 5-Jan-2022 at 11:40.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Yikes! That is outrageous. If you're using Fleabay as a barometer of value, its a distorted view. I've seen two accounts of photographers who bought this lens - in much better condition - for under $1000. Yes, in 2021. IMO you paid far too much for it, given its condition.
    I agree w/ brother Paul.

It looks to me there is coating oxidation with many blotches that look hazy.
    The haze over the whole area of the lens affects the sharpness and contrast.
    1.5K sounds too expensive to me for this kind of condition.

we don't do valuations

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    we don't do valuations
    No, but I won't hesitate to tell someone if I believe they've paid far too much for a damaged lens.
    Last edited by paulbarden; 5-Jan-2022 at 09:44.

I have tried to use similarly scarred Xenotar lenses, and they don't do well. About 50 of them (?) badly damaged from a lab sold for $250 each about 10 years ago on ebay, and I tested a few. Even in perfect shape they have quite a bit of flare and softness, and the scratches and fogging made them (for my purposes) unusable. An 8" f2.9 Pentac or maybe even a 16.5cm f2.7 Tessar will likely perform better.

The original post, which didn't ask for valuation but rather for advice on the impact of the lens's condition, is entirely within our guidelines, as are the various observations that have been shared addressing that. But per guidelines, no more on pricing, please.

This does underscore the risk of buying an expensive item without being in a position to test it for yourself within a reasonable return period.