Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and happy new year from Lancashire, UK

Late Adopter

Hello and happy new year from Lancashire, UK

I recently became the owner of an unbranded half plate field camera from around 1900.

I am looking forward to learning more about it and LF photography from this wonderful resource.

Bellows repair first and then maybe a new GG which I can make myself. Then out and about to learn through use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211229_213001.jpg   20211223_212253.jpg   20211223_213014.jpg  

Re: Hello and happy new year from Lancashire, UK

Welcome to the group.
    That's a beauty, for sure!
    Were you intending to get into large format, or did this "piano" simply land on your head?
    What type of photography did you do in the past -- if any?
    Tell us more about yourself -- and this camera -- if you can.
    Are you set up for processing?

Late Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Welcome to the group.
    That's a beauty, for sure!
    Were you intending to get into large format, or did this "piano" simply land on your head?
    What type of photography did you do in the past -- if any?
    Tell us more about yourself -- and this camera -- if you can.
    Are you set up for processing?
    Hi and thank you for the generous welcome.

I had intended to try large format though I suspected it would be a little way down the line as I am enjoying my medium format a lot. Then a put a bid at auction on this camera after a few glasses of wine and got it (and a Petri S 35mm and a Kodak 1A autographic) for the princely sum of $73 USD. It's not my first 'slightly inebriated' auction purchase but it sure is my best one

I got my first camera in 1981, a Pentax ME Super which I kept until 1985 when I had to sell it to eat. I then returned to photography in the late 90's with a compact Canon digital then an Olympus E-420, an Olympus E-30 and then in May 2020 an Olympus EM1 MkII. I shot family snapshots for most of the time and motorbike racing on our annual trip to Indianapolis to watch MotoGP. I did almost no creative photography and very seldom thought about what I wanted from a shot.

Lockdown and the new camera in 2020 changed that and I started taking notice of what was around me and more importantly taking my time to photograph something. This inevitably led me back to thinking about my first film camera so I bought a replacement ME Super and then next thing you know...........!

I do not currently process my own images though I do plan to change that in the next two months though only to the extent of development of B&W. Perhaps in time colour will get introduced but I don't see me ever making prints in a darkroom. But then again.......!

So I have my glue, my acrylic paints and a lovely chap called Ian Grant is sending me over some patches to cover the holes in the bellows. Then, if that goes well I'll experiment unless the GG is really too poor to work with then I'll work on a new one first.

I am hoping there will be some workshops in the UK in the year ahead so I can see how an experienced LF photographer uses their camera and associated tools.

Welcome aboard!
    There have been a number of threads on bellows repair, including a recent one. In case you're unfamiliar, the search function on this site is weak, but you'll find lots by using google (or perhaps another browser search function. In google you search for, for example,

site:largeformatphotography.info bellows repair

with a space between the site and the search term(s).

While some give no credit to any pinhole fixes and recommend only replacement, here in the U.S. a widely recommended product is Permatex Ultrablack, purchased at auto stores. It may hold up a bit better than acrylic paint. You surely have similar products there.

Looking forward to seeing your work.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

There are lots of people on this Forum -- not me! -- that are knowledgeable about older cameras and lenses, but when you can give us more details on the lens and camera, such as anything inscribed on both. Also, do you have film holders, etc. Do you plan on processing the film or not?

Late Adopter

Thank you both for the advice and direction. Philip, the search tip is very handy and I'll look into the product you mention if the fix I am about to apply does not do the job.

I do plan on processing B&W film but not yet.

There are no inscriptions on the lens or camera itself. Here are some more images of the camera and components.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211223_212333.jpg   20211223_212412.jpg   20211223_212320.jpg   20211223_212551.jpg  

Late Adopter

Additional
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20211223_212615.jpg   20211223_212947.jpg   20211223_213001.jpg   20211223_212454.jpg  

Here are a couple of ideas.

If you can, open the lens on the camera and focus on a distant object -- like the horizon. Then measure the distance from the film plane (back of the camera) to the middle of the lens where the iris is. This will give you a good idea of the focal length of the lens. Then, go to the LENS subforum and ask if anyone can identify the lens.

Then measure the groundglass and go to the CAMERA subforum and ask if anyone can identify the camera.

You'll get a quicker response that way -- and you'll get ideas about how to get "up and running"!!!

Good luck

Late Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Here are a couple of ideas.

If you can, open the lens on the camera and focus on a distant object -- like the horizon. Then measure the distance from the film plane (back of the camera) to the middle of the lens where the iris is. This will give you a good idea of the focal length of the lens. Then, go to the LENS subforum and ask if anyone can identify the lens.

Then measure the groundglass and go to the CAMERA subforum and ask if anyone can identify the camera.

You'll get a quicker response that way -- and you'll get ideas about how to get "up and running"!!!

Good luck
    Wonderful! I'll check that out tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your help.

It’s those few glasses of wine that can get you to buy things you might otherwise pass on. I’ve done that myself even having found my cc on the floor of our living room the next day! No more as I have cut back on the wine per doctors orders a couple of years ago. And I’m saving money!