Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Going to Yosemite but can't take my 4x5 or 8x10. What to do?

Drew Wiley

Re: Going to Yosemite but can't take my 4x5 or 8x10. What to do?

Just the usual warmup rules. And carry a spare warm battery in a pocket if you're dependent on those. It's hard to predict the weather in Feb. It might be relatively warm with lots of wildflowers and almond orchards already blooming down below, or there cold be cold rain and even snow in the Valley, often on the soggy side that time of year. Yosemite Valley itself isn't very high, but can become a cold sink for the air higher up where snow will still be quite heavy. And it can be especially cold in the shade. March is often cooler than Feb, but the weather is so screwed-up these days, i'd just prepare for anything mildly wacky.

If you have a spare day or two in the area, don't count out the Mother Lode hill country down below. Yosemite Valley itself is just the tip of the iceberg, photographically. Of course, the high country itself won't be accessible except to hard-core backcountry skiers, although you can get a bit of a distant view up at Glacier Point if that road is open.

Size of tripod? - all depends on if you need to ram the feet down into snow or not. It's a headache to use a lightweight CF tripod in snow or a spongy meadow; but I've done it thousands of times when the travel priority was lighter wt gear. Bring warm waterproof boots, not just hiking shoes. There aren't many safe pedestrian turnout spots on the paved roads themselves. But trails should be relatively uncrowded that early in the season.

iPhone?

I find for 1st (or fast) visits somewhere, I keep my "rig" very simple as I may not have much time to explore/scout a new location at first, so use gear I can shoot quickly/easily (even handheld) until I learn the site and can come back with the "big guns"...

Use familiar equipment, and keep it simple... :-)

Steve K

Drew Wiley

Well, opportunities for iconic winter shots that everyone seemingly hopes to get are not as recurrent as they once were. Things are getting warmer. This particular winter has brought a lot of snow, but Springtime is still an open question, and yet a different year, well .... Scout this year with a BB gun to locate your trophy rhinoceros, come back next year with a .50 caliber rifle, and you might see only see a mouse instead. I'm an opportunist, and just go with what appeals to me personally, and have no interest in stereotypical scenes; but just sayin'... Yeah, keep it simple. That is important. But my mantra is simple plus truly printable. Otherwise, why bother?

Keep this painting in mind:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yosemite Camera Falls 1993.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	223027
    Then ponder if this is a ~Photography only~ trip or a visit to enjoy what Yosemite has to offer specially FAR away from the overly traveled tourist trap locations and over Photographed locations.

Once these priorities are decided then comes camera choice.. and there is zero wrong with a cell phone camera. Think there was an well worn saying, "Best Camera is the one in hand."

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by bmikiten View Post
    I'll be traveling to Yosemite in about 2 months (yes, winter) for the first time and due to some space restrictions, I can't take my 4x5 or 8x10 kits much less my Reis tripod so the question is.... what do I do?

1) Rent a Hassy digital system (50mp or 80mp are options)

2) Rent a Hassy film camera, lenses, etc.

3) Shoot my Nikon (24mp) and consider it a scouting trip.

I thought about getting a smaller film wide format camera (rent) but there aren't many options.

Any clever ideas? I'm not 100% fond of digital and sold a full Hassy digital system a few years ago because I just didn't use it.

Brian

Without the crowds, Happy Isles offers a wealth of "intimate" landscapes of the Merced within a pine cone's throw of a good pathway.
    Also Bridalveil Falls in early Spring during high water offers some interesting scenes with granite and flora in the 'flood" waters near the base of the falls.
    All this before the Federal mosquitos make their appearance.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Had the same challenge when touring New Zealand a few years ago; no 4x5 or 8x10 due to flight and transport logistics.
    Answer: Fuji GSW680 Texas Leica fed with Ilford Delta 3200 film. The negative is big enough to deliver minimal grain and the film is fast enough to permit hand held shooting at reasonable shutter speeds.

Lake Wanaka, Gravel Bar
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Ilford Classic VC FB photographic paper, image size 16.3cm X 21.5cm, from a 68 format Ilford Delta 3200 negative exposed in a Fuji GSW680 camera.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

IMO, the Fuji GSW690 is WAY under appreciated as one of the best medium format fixed lens cameras made and FAR better camera than most would know or understand.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    Fuji GSW680 Texas Leica

Quite obvious for me: Mamiya 7ii with 65. I did that for the same reason for my track in Patagonia. I sold the kit afterwards, with no loss and you’ll make a chance on win because this camera is very wanted and keeps on rising in price. I was astonished about the 6x7 format, how much more that is than 6x6. I printed on 50x60cm with all the sharpness you want. FP4+. But if money is a problem, I would be happy with GSW690 too, but it’s one stop slower.

What works for me when the LF's stay home: Fuji/Voigtlander 667, 667W, or both...plus green, orange, and ND filters (3 and 6-stop), Pentax/Z-6 digital spot meter, cable release, Feisol "Tall Traveller" tripod with photo-clam head. Will leave tripod, meter, and ND filters at home if just doing "walk arounds."

I find TMY film to be the perfect "happy medium" for both hand-held and tripod-supported work with these cameras. Shutter releases are so smooth, and shutters so vibration-free...that I consistently realize success with hand-helds at 1/15thsec, which typically allows the use of filters while preserving decent DOF. Example of hand-held 667W, at 1/15th sec, with orange filter (prints nice at 16x20):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Star Lake, Mt. Madison.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	223044
    (print much sharper than this posted copy...can resolve crystals in foreground rocks as well as cairns/trail markers on distant summit)

I also find the Fuji/Voigtlanders great for cold weather use...as they fit easily between base layers and outer shell where they are kept sufficiently warm without risking body-moisture condensation and freeze-up.