Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Going to Yosemite but can't take my 4x5 or 8x10. What to do?

Re: Going to Yosemite but can't take my 4x5 or 8x10. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyT View Post
    Converting\modifying a camera like that would be a crime.
    One can use any 120 film roll back to quickly and painlessly respool forward. The respooling back will be all "manual" still.
    There is a user on Photrio that regularly commits that crime for something like $300, and I was considering buying one from him. I think modifying a camera to accept commercially available film is a perfectly acceptable thing to do. Its just a thing. And respooling forward as you describe it, isn't particularly useful. I've had my go at trying to adapt film to something that takes no-longer-available film--never again. Throw it in the dumpster if the camera itself can't be adapted.

For re-spooling, I recommend trying Foma roll films, as the film is (annoying) flat normally, and tends to cling to the backing paper, but for re-spooling, it would be much easier to backroll without the dreaded "bump" where the tape is...

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 6-Jan-2022 at 20:17.

multiplex

Just bring any camera, the best camera is what you have with you. I wouldn't waste any money on renting cameras you might not be familiar with. Any 35mm will give you perfectly good photographs.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    ... And respooling forward as you describe it, isn't particularly useful.
    It is for me as it can be done in daylight and very quickly and reliably.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    I've had my go at trying to adapt film to something that takes no-longer-available film--never again.
    I hear the same about dealing with any kind of film or film equipment from a lot of "digital" photographers.

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    For re-spooling, I recommend trying Foma roll films, as the film is (annoying) flat normally, and tends to cling to the backing paper, but for re-spooling, it would be much easier to backroll without the dreaded "bump" where the tape is...
    Developing of a bump can be avoided with some practice. Even if it develops during re-spooling a careful re-taping of the factory-made seam eliminates it completly.

I don't mind modifications that keep something in service, I think it just becomes part of that objects history. Certainly no need to accuse someone of being a digital photographer!

The retaping is not that hard and for me is always necessary. I manage in a tiny dark bag even.