Thread: Richard Benson at the Philadelphia Museum of Art

Richard Benson at the Philadelphia Museum of Art

Benson is known for his printing skill, but was also a photographer. I would love to get to Philly to see this exhibit, but the current Omicron surge makes that unlikely. The link provides a sampling of his photography, but it is the short video that I find both interesting and controversial. Mr. Benson argues that despite decades of platinum printing, he feels that digital printing is superior. Personally my enjoyment of the craft of darkroom printing outweighs the possible benefits Benson sees, but I can’t argue against his expertise. https://www.philamuseum.org/calendar...marter-you-are

David Schaller

Re: Richard Benson at the Philadelphia Museum of Art

Thanks for posting this Peter.

Re: Richard Benson at the Philadelphia Museum of Art

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewin View Post
    Benson is known for his printing skill, but was also a photographer. I would love to get to Philly to see this exhibit, but the current Omicron surge makes that unlikely. The link provides a sampling of his photography, but it is the short video that I find both interesting and controversial. Mr. Benson argues that despite decades of platinum printing, he feels that digital printing is superior. Personally my enjoyment of the craft of darkroom printing outweighs the possible benefits Benson sees, but I can’t argue against his expertise. https://www.philamuseum.org/calendar...marter-you-are
    Unlike the majority of digital printmakers, he's applying the same level of craft to digital printing as he did with analog, not just using some predetermined profiles and pushing a button.