Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Progress on Film Drying Cabinet

Re: Progress on Film Drying Cabinet

Just putting a 100W incandescent light bulb near the bottom would provide enough heat in a cabinet, without creating much air movement that carry much dust around and without air turbulence issues...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Just putting a 100W incandescent light bulb near the bottom would provide enough heat in a cabinet, without creating much air movement that carry much dust around and without air turbulence issues...

Steve K
    An Easy-Bake oven!

I bought the original cabinet it was made from particle board. The fan/heater assembly was in good shape. It uses filtered air. I am making a holder for a heppa filter to filter the incoming air. I am finishing the cabinet in linseed oil to keep the natural wood grain showing and to highlight it inside and out. It also has a built in back sheet that helps the airflow thru the cabinet. It will be going in my dark room that is being built as part of my new home currently just started construction. My darkroom and the adjoining office will be on a completely isolated air system complete with a couple of large ionizing fans in the ceiling and will have higher pressure in side than the rest of the house so dust will be kept to a minimum along with a couple of plumbed in humidifiers and antistatic/dust mats you step on before entering the room (the kind that are sticky if you have ever worked in a clean worm). Essentially I am building clean room minus the certification as I will also do optical work in there as part of my photography and astrophotgraphy/research.

Took clamps off the other day, in process of attaching the roller feet to it. Next is hang door reassemble fan and heater (parts are at coating shop getting serakote applied to them. Can't wait to try it out. I have probably close to 200-300 sheets need developing and many rolls of film. Will start using in my pos rental that has more dust than a vacuum cleaner so probably won't use fan and cover it with a few towels to be safe.

Speaking of high dust, another thing I am doing for the entire new house is using screening material on the windows that will allow air thru, but the openings are small enough to keep out that talcum powder dust and pollens, etc.

While I live in a desert, our current humidity is 48%. It has been fairly high for the last year.