Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress on Film Drying Cabinet

Progress on Film Drying Cabinet

The original was made of particle board and falling apart so ny neighbor and I startex to rebuild out of interior grade 3/4 in plywood. Below is the test fit of all components except door and heater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BD551FFD-339E-4778-AF2F-29E897551105.jpg  

Re: Progress on Film Drying Cabinet

Decades ago, I made my own film drying cabinet. I hang the film (35mm, MF, 4x5, 8x10) and let it dry overnight.

In my view, including a fan is just opening a can of worms. (An analogy that should not be taken literally.)

Hanging it in a steamed-out shower stall works for me...

Steve K

Looks like a nice job on the cabinet. What are you planning on using for the finish on the interior?

Roger

I agree with Neil on the fan. I have a California Stainless with a built in fan. The only time I EVER get dust on my negatives is if I use it to force dry the film. I don't always get it, but it's when I use the fan that I do. Also, if the roll film has a tendency to curl anyway, force drying it exacerbates the curl.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Looks good!

We know Steven lives in a very high dust area

I humidify my DR in winter, no need in summer, and hang film over a wet sink

no dust

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    The original was made of particle board and falling apart so ny neighbor and I startex to rebuild out of interior grade 3/4 in plywood. Below is the test fit of all components except door and heater.
    that's pretty high-grade! I used to use a 6 foot tall metal locker ( looks like a filling cabinet but for clothes ) and when I lost that I went the home despot and got a plastic closet , I took out the shelves and strung wire from side to side ... dust free, won't rust and a good
    hiding place for the upcoming alien invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    that's pretty high-grade! I used to use a 6 foot tall metal locker ( looks like a filling cabinet but for clothes ) and when I lost that I went the home despot and got a plastic closet , I took out the shelves and strung wire from side to side ... dust free, won't rust and a good
    hiding place for the upcoming alien invasion.
    I like the way you think!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

My experience is the opposite of some of the other people who have replied here. I have a Arkay film dryer and get cleaner negatives with the fan. I did make a mask sits on top of the filter to reduce the airflow because sheet film was flapping around to much and I have a good quality filter on the unit. The dryer also has a heater which I have at a moderate temperature setting.

Roger

I use an ikea tall closet with a spiral of heating cord on the bottom for reptiliaries that i never turn on.
    No dust.