Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Presentation of LF slides for display, exhibition, collection, and sale.

Re: Presentation of LF slides for display, exhibition, collection, and sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Many many years ago when I was in high school I worked at a natural history museum in Chicago where they displayed 8x10 Kodachromes of landscapes lit from behind. They were gorgeous. I don't know what if anything they did to address fading or other degradation of the film.
    No doubt! There is something magical about a slide on a light table that no digital system can reproduce, even the best drum scanners.

The question still stands. Do you remember how they were presented?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wheathins View Post
    The question still stands. Do you remember how they were presented?
    This was in 1969 and I don't remember the details of the display. As far as I recall the transparencies were sandwiched between glass and back lit, very likely with flourescent tubes as there were several photos in a row. Sorry I can't help more, but I'm surprised I remember much of anything from back then—a lot has happened in between then and now...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I don't think anyone back in the day would be displaying original transparencies or slides. They would always make some form of negative from the original transparency for further processing into the final display image. For printed images, they'd make separation negatives and then printing plates. For backlit display they'd make a color internegative and then use that to make a Duratrans image. Back lit Duratrans images used to be everywhere back before the digital era. It's probably been replaced now by some type of inkjet technology, but it looks like it still may be around.

http://duratrans.com/faq

http://duratrans.com/duratransdescription

To completely eliminate any concern about fading, assuming 8x10 is large enough, one might shoot on this film

and process it in these chemicals

Silver on polyester. Make the illumination as bright as desired for as long as anyone will visit to view.

Quote Originally Posted by sharktooth View Post
    I don't think anyone back in the day would be displaying original transparencies or slides. They would always make some form of negative from the original transparency for further processing into the final display image. For printed images, they'd make separation negatives and then printing plates. For backlit display they'd make a color internegative and then use that to make a Duratrans image. Back lit Duratrans images used to be everywhere back before the digital era. It's probably been replaced now by some type of inkjet technology, but it looks like it still may be around.

http://duratrans.com/faq

http://duratrans.com/duratransdescription
    Duratrans looks interesting! It says that it's a special slide film digitally exposed. Does anyone have any experience with this product? How does it compare to slide film.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    To completely eliminate any concern about fading, assuming 8x10 is large enough, one might shoot on this film

and process it in these chemicals

Silver on polyester. Make the illumination as bright as desired for as long as anyone will visit to view.
    I've been interested in b/w slides, but havent tried them yet. I'm not interested in color slides, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...assuming 8x10 is large enough...
    Even that's not a limitation. Although Freestyle doesn't import it, CHS 100-II is available up to 20x24 direct from Fotoimpex:

Drew Wiley

Huge transparencies have been around for decades, whether dye transfer printed, chromogenic transparencies from Kodak etc , or chromolytic Cibachrome transparencies. It's a given that backlit images are going to likely fade quite a bit quicker than equivalent prints, because their in even closer proximity to potential UV torture. The same would be true for regular LF sheet film transparencies if displayed in an analogous manner. Giving an exact number of months of years until there's a noticeable problem is impossible due to the many variables, case to case.

But by limiting the choice to black and white images, rather than color, yes, it would be hypothetically possible to create much longer lasting backlit images. If on sheet film per se, with a silver image, that film image could be protected somewhat more from atmospheric pollutants with a slip of selenium toning. And if it were on polyester (Estar, PET) sheet film stock, the base itself would hold up over time significantly better than triacetate base. The remaining question is how to best protect the film image from handling, moisture,mildew, spiders etc - and that's where it starts to get either complicated or really expensive.

Duratrans is basically a commercial advertising signage material, with "long term" performance listed with respect to that kind of application, which is all basically temporary. Digitally printing onto it means inkjet, and all the voodoo marketing variables that go with that. Best to do some serious homework about even the look of that first. But it's a widely available service, including the mounting and weatherizing.