Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presentation of LF slides for display, exhibition, collection, and sale.

Presentation of LF slides for display, exhibition, collection, and sale.

Has anyone presented LF slides at an exhibition/gallery? The slides are obviously very pretty on a light table, but difficult to present. My initial thoughts are to sandwich the slide between 2 pieces of muesum glass, then place that in a shadow box with a diffuser and a light table in the back. Ive got a few concerns:

1) Is fading a concern? Does any one have accelerated aging data on this?

2) Is there anyway to light the slide without a powered light? would reflective surface work?

I think slides have the potential to be like an "original" since they are one of a kind by nature. I havent seen anything like it, and would be a cool to expose folks to LF who probably haven't seen anything like it. However, presentation is key. Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Re: Presentation of LF slides for display, exhibition, collection, and sale.

You might find it interesting to see how Jeff Wall does this, although he does it on a pretty large scale. This is a PBS segment on his current show. There's also a thread on the forum about the show:

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    You might find it interesting to see how Jeff Wall does this, although he does it on a pretty large scale. This is a PBS segment on his current show. There's also a thread on the forum about the show:

Hmm, Interesting. It seems he's lighting large prints from behind. I'm interested in presenting the slides themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheathins View Post
    Hmm, Interesting. It seems he's lighting large prints from behind. I'm interested in presenting the slides themselves.
    I would suggest that you do a search on Wall's technique over time. A lot of his work has involved back-lit transparencies.

1) Is fading a concern? Does any one have accelerated aging data on this?
    Yes, and yes. Read chapter 6 of Wilhelm's book:

http://wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    I would suggest that you do a search on Wall's technique over time. A lot of his work has involved back-lit transparencies.
    Ok, I'll check it out. Any online resources you know of from him?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Yes, and yes. Read chapter 6 of Wilhelm's book:

http://wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html
    This is for projector fading. The report states that the projects are many times brighter than direct sunlight. Even bright light tables are dimmer than that. I'm not sure if the data holds for my use.

This is for projector fading. The report states that the projects are many times brighter than direct sunlight. Even bright light tables are dimmer than that. I'm not sure if the data holds for my use.
    Fair point - we don't know about the reciprocity behavior of exposure testing for these transparency materials.

That said, the discussion in chapter 3 about fading of color prints on display suggests that typical display lighting is still likely to be an issue for color materials based on chromogenic dyes. And the guidance on slide storage in chapter 18 includes the following statements (p. 630):

* Do not allow slides to remain on illuminated viewers or light tables any longer than absolutely necessary. Extended exposure to light from an illuminated viewer can cause significant fading. Kodachrome slides are articularly sensitive to this and other types of light fading.

* To avoid potentially serious, irregular image fading caused by room lights, do not leave slides uncovered on desks or tabletops. Be especially careful in rooms that are brightly illuminated with fluorescent lamps or daylight.

I was planning on sandwiching the slide in museum glass, which may reduce fading. I would also expect the brightness of the light to the primary factor in the fading rate. Perhaps I can do some testing with a slide I don't care about.

Many many years ago when I was in high school I worked at a natural history museum in Chicago where they displayed 8x10 Kodachromes of landscapes lit from behind. They were gorgeous. I don't know what if anything they did to address fading or other degradation of the film.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/