Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 90mm f8 vs 5.6

Re: 90mm f8 vs 5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I was responding to a post you made which was off-topic. Trying to stick to the OP topic.

Doremus's post was on point.
    Excuse me, but who do you think you are? You start two threads that have so much overlap that they might as well have been one. I offer a detailed, polite response to your own post, and you start dictating what I can and can't talk about. In all the years that I've been on this site, I've not seen anything like this. Seriously, who do you think that you are that you talk to people like this?

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Further to Doremus's comments in this and the other thread about composing independently of the camera's ground glass...

I don't know Doremus's technique, but I'm sold on the app Artist's Viewfinder. If you have an iPhone 11 or later, the phone's wide angle lens will get the job done for short focal lengths; otherwise you'll need a supplementary lens for the phone. I don't know if there is an Android equivalent. See this thread: What Scouting/Planning Apps Are You Using in 2021?
    I use my digital P&S camera set to display BW. I locate where I want to take the picture looking through the viewfinder or LED display and then zoom into the right framing. That tells me what 4x5 lens I need. I drop something on the ground to mark the spot and then set up my tripod there. Frankly, I don't like LF looking upside down. So this method works for me. I also use the digital camera as an exposure meter. But that's a different story.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The dark cloth is relevant because a good dark cloth should help your eyes adjust to the GG. The question is, with a good dark cloth and allowing eyes to adjust, is there a discernible difference between a f8 and f5.6 lens under dim lighting conditions?
    Yes.

And yes using a “mediocre” dark cloth too.

A totally different question would be, “is a f/5.6 lens needed rather than a f/8 lens?”

I hate to police the thread...
    So please don't. It's natural for threads is to drift a bit as people offer a variety of sort-of-related ideas in an effort to be helpful.

The question is about the GG using a f8 vs 5.6 lens in dim lighting conditions.
    I think everyone understood your question. The answer, which is reflected in the comments so far, is that sensitivity to GG brightness and tolerance for dim viewing varies considerably among photographers. So the only way to know for sure what will work best for you is to try the alternatives - whether it be a more effective dark cloth or a faster lens - for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Neither I nor Doremus said that you "must" compose independently of the ground glass. I don't know how Doremus does it, but some people, myself among them, find a director's viewfinder invaluable and a significant timesaver.
    I use a similar approach. I took an 8x10" gray card, and cut a 4x5" rectangle in the middle. I turn the 4x5" rectangle into a flap with a piece of transparent tape -- and can still use the card for metering. I similarly attached a Kodak gelatin B&W viewing filter over the hole. I move the card forward and back to estimate the perspective I want. When I find it, the distance from my eye quickly tells me what focal length lens to start with. Saves a lot of time.

And out various compositional approaches would be an interesting topic all its own! I haven't thought to bring it up because I'm content with my approach -- however odd it may seem.

I hate to police the thread, but...

The question is about the GG using a f8 vs 5.6 lens in dim lighting conditions.
    Thread drift is a fact of life. Live with it.

FYI, no one, especially the person who started it, owns a discussion.

I use a Maxwell focus screen with the Nikkor SW f/8 and am pleased with the brightness and ease of focusing in low light conditions. It was basically an investment on the rear to save weight on the front and bulk in the pack. Plus, I’m standardized on 67mm filters so I wanted a solution to make the f/8 lens work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    I use a Maxwell focus screen with the Nikkor SW f/8 and am pleased with the brightness and ease of focusing in low light conditions. It was basically an investment on the rear to save weight on the front and bulk in the pack. Plus, I’m standardized on 67mm filters so I wanted a solution to make the f/8 lens work out.
    Great suggestion! What kind of Maxwell focus screen are using and where can one get it?

Mine is the Maxwell 4x5 Ultra Brilliant Matte focus screen, and the the source is Bill Maxwell of Maxwell Precision Optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Whir-Click View Post
    Mine is the Maxwell 4x5 Ultra Brilliant Matte focus screen, and the the source is Bill Maxwell of Maxwell Precision Optics.
    Great!