Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Rim Road

Drew Wiley

Re: White Rim Road

That wasn't the only Duraflame incident, just the one that got caught. And it didn't help that the location was the official Utah State icon.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    You are correct about Moab being DisneyWorld...

Here's a shot of a waterfall in a small canyon in Zion -- that I had all to myself...
    Zion...the rankings float around a little, but Zion is in the top five National Parks in yearly visitation. Still fairly easy to get away from the crowds in the limited off season. Avoiding Angel's Landing and The Narrows will take care of most of the crowds. But it can be very nuts parking at the mouth of Zion Canyon. Incredible place...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ManyPools.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Hey xkaes, in 59 not only 12 was dirt but it also connected to Hanksville through what is now Capitol Reef through one of the narrow slot canyon like washes (still a partial dirt road in the park). Fortunately, it didn't rain the day we drove through in a car;-)

There are a couple of ways to get from Route 12 to Hanksville through Capitol Reef. The main road is Route 24 through the north section of the Park -- Tourist Central. The other heads east from Boulder on the south section of the Park.-- the Burr Trail Road, which is now paved most of the way. A few miles north on Bullfrog Road, outside of the Park, there is a dirt road -- probably still is dirt -- that goes through the infrequently-visited Henry Mts. to the metropolis of Hanksville (the only gas for miles around).

And the Island in the Sky is only ONE of the THREE sections of the Park. The others are larger, and harder to get to because there are fewer roads, but every bit as spectacular -- and have fewer people!

Kinda funny, the website I was on just before coming to the LF site was about planning a White Rim trip see this link https://www.earthtrekkers.com/white-...uide/#overview Enjoy, sure to be a rewarding trip.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Great link Steve...thanks! Jeesh I do miss being out there. Have been looking at used Tacomas, which would fit the bill perfectly!

Drew Wiley

Zion itself has three distinct sections with different access roads, plus relatively quiet alternate trails. But one does have to be conscious of access issues once it starts snowing. I've been in T-shirt weather down in the bottom of the Zion main canyon in Autumn, but had to switch to a down coat hiking to the rim. Likewise, Island in the sky is quite a bit of altitude above the River below. Winter and Summer can be just a stone's throw apart in some of those canyon systems, almost literally.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Great link Steve...thanks! Jeesh I do miss being out there. Have been looking at used Tacomas, which would fit the bill perfectly!
    I lot of people end up with rigs that are too big for some "jeep" trails. They assume big and powerful is better, when, in fact, in tight places something short and narrow wins over long and wide. Give me a Samurai over a Land Cruiser in canyon country any day.

Ha! I remember having a discussion years ago (early '90's) in Chaco Canyon...on the subject of "best rides" for the desert southwest...and there did seem to be a very positive consensus for (wait for it)...a lifted Volkswagen Rabbit with oversized tires!