Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White Rim Road

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

White Rim Road

Hi all,

Trying to do the White Rim Road in late Feb of 2022

Any advice, favorite spots to stop that are not in the guide books?

Any gotcha's/lessons learned?

Thanks!

Re: White Rim Road

It’s been 30 years since I drove it, so I’m sure it has changed. My only advice is: take a capable vehicle, bring a capable friend, and don’t be in a hurry.

Pack your camera well—the road is not smooth.

Rick “you probably had figured that much out already” Denney

Hi Rick,
    thanks!

Once the sun goes down it could be pretty cold at that time of year - take a good sleeping bag, ski hat and down coat!

@h2oman thanks

Drew Wiley

The Canyonlands NP official site has a long informational video on the route - what to bring and expect, rules, reservation system, etc. It could still snow that time of year. You really want to be prepared and equipped for anything from really cold to rather hot. Temperature swings can be pretty dramatic not only with altitude changes, but between day and night. Getting stuck in a spot for a few days is always a hypothetical possibility; it's happened to me a several times in that general area. Clay roads can turn into hopelessly slippery soap if it rains. So as always, get an up to date forecast at the Visitor Center before heading in. Wrap your camera and film holders well to keep dust out. Canyonlands is an amazing area.

You're never alone on the White Rim any time of year, but February is the best time to avoid the ridiculous crowds -- and get a reservation. But it does get cold there, and it can snow. I was in the Sid's Mt. area -- in the San Rafael Reef, north of Canyonlands -- in February once. That's a place no one goes that time of year. It started to snow -- HEAVY. I got out of there just in time -- before the jeep trails turned to foot deep muck. I had enough food to wait for the trails to dry, but I didn't have a week's worth of film! The two feet of snow did make for some dramatic landscapes!

Drew Wiley

I'd pack a pair of snowshoes when I went to the SW in the colder months. If I got snowed in a few days, so what. Had plenty of food and fuel, zero degree sleeping bag, so had fun. But I sure learned about what rain or snow can do to slickrock clay the hard way; and that certainly isn't included in my definition of getting "fun stuck".

thanks everyone, any spots to shoot that aren't on usual guide books? best place to view Zeus and Moses for example?

One more tip that you might need. If you do run into wet dirt roads, make sure to completely clean out the wheel well when you get home. I once had so much clay stuck underneath my front and rear wheel wells, after an Arizona trip, that the weight basically made the shocks worthless. I probably got about 2 MPG on the long trip back to Colorado. I had to use a chisel to get some of the hardened gunk off!!!