Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: White Rim Road

Re: White Rim Road

The only problem I can think of would be driving it back to Denver from Chaco at highway speed.

I was driving the original 1975 Rabbit in both EU and our western desert. 1975 shipped it to Belgium and back

Everybody wanted to race the orange car that had really bad brakes, we redid the brakes every 10K, rotors too small

Hit a rail crossing at speed and blew the front right tire

The car drove straight with no pull, so I just kept driving 200 miles, as the wheel lugs were way too tight, nobody could get them loose until I found a dealer and another brake job

That car had a new type front suspension that let it drive straight with a flat

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Ha! I remember having a discussion years ago (early '90's) in Chaco Canyon...on the subject of "best rides" for the desert southwest...and there did seem to be a very positive consensus for (wait for it)...a lifted Volkswagen Rabbit with oversized tires!

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    The only problem I can think of would be driving it back to Denver from Chaco at highway speed.
    My brother once transplanted an R32 drive train (VR6 engine, 4motion 4wd) into a VW Caddy (the little rabbit pickup.) I really wish he still had it—that would be fun to take off-road.

I think the crown vic is the official sedan of Moab

Drew Wiley

Heck, huge turbines were once driven up roads blasted across the faces of cliffs in my neck of the woods so marginal in clearance that you can still see the scrapes of the sides of the rocks from trying to squeeze through, and five hundred to three thousand foot dropoffs on hairpin curves, without any guard rails, yet wheels edged right to the brink. Before that, huge locomotives and rail cars were literally hauled thousands of feet up steep dirt grades by Indian and oxen labor pulling ropes, while others set logs and chockstones behind to prevent the whole things going back down again - taken uphill for sake of early logging enterprises. At least they got paid. Today, we pay instead for the right and equipment to do something crazy ourselves. I wouldn't call that progress! I've seen quite a number of of logging trucks (work) and 4WD rigs ("fun") hopelessly and irretrievably piled up atop one another down in the bottom of deep gorges. There were obviously numerous fatalities too.

What they don't tell you in those sportster commercials is whether or not the vehicle was good for anything afterwards.

dave4242, did you end up getting reservations? I'm also going late February. Keeping my fingers crossed about road conditions. Shafer Trail Road is currently closed, though Potash Road is open.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    dave4242, did you end up getting reservations? I'm also going late February. Keeping my fingers crossed about road conditions. Shafer Trail Road is currently closed, though Potash Road is open.

Bob
    Hey Bob, I ended up not going due to omicron, I didnt want to risk getting exposed while traveling to Canyonlands... I'll try again later in the year...
    -David