Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5x7 Kodak 2-D in real use

5x7 Kodak 2-D in real use

I’m about halfway through restoring an old 2-D and wondering after all the blood, sweat, and tears, will I want to take it out in the field and use it. Anybody have a similar experience? It won’t be museum quality so maybe just do it. Worse case scenario the tripod falls over and I’ll start all over again.

Re: 5x7 Kodak 2-D in real use

A 2-D is a surprisingly capable camera. A good tripod, a few film holders, and a 210mm lens and you're on your way.

Don't sweat the details, once restored it will be happy someone put the TLC & love into it and camera will respond well to it... You and camera will become dance partners...

Carry on!!!

Steve K

Foamer

I have an 8x10 2D and sometimes use a 5x7 back. It's a great camera. I'm strictly an outdoor photographer. I use heavy 19th C. lenses and the 2D holds them well.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I have the earlier version...Eastman View No.2...that I have used overseas and locally. No front tilt, but I've been using the back tilt effectively instead. Good cameras for the field -- often mine stays on the tripod as I walk around, with everything else in a shoulder bag. The camera design is one of the best for carrying it attached to the tripod. For longer hikes, it fits nicely into a pack (seen behind me in the photo).

Edit to add:

Note that mine has the sliding bottom plate -- I believe the 5x7 2Ds also have them (my 8x10 2D does). Adds a little weight, but it really stiffens up the whole camera when placed straddling the hinge of the front rails -- as I have it in my photos below.

When carrying it on the tripod, I usually have the darkcloth draped over the camera and then slide a waterproof stuff sack over it to protect the bellows from branches, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EV2_5x7a.jpg   EV2_5x7b.jpg   Clile_TakingPhoto.jpg   Clile_Falls_TdP_2018 copy.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 15-Dec-2021 at 10:05.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I have one on its way to me from the United States right now with a pair of film holders, looking forward to taking it out and putting it through its paces.

I do wet plate, planning to modify one holder for 5x7 plates and one for 4x5, which I expect will see more use. At the moment I've got a 4x5 Toyo monorail that's my main camera - it's very solidly built and nice to use with all the geared movements and such, but not so nice to pack and haul around.

Thank you, Mark. Have all of those things, including a few 5x7 film holders, 4x5 back, and an old but sturdy Tiltall tripod.

I love your last sentence! Thanks.

Beautiful! Aside from the bottom track plate, exactly the same. Great photos. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wordsandpixels View Post
    Beautiful! Aside from the bottom track plate, exactly the same. Great photos. Thanks.
    I bought a Zone VI 8x10 around 1996. Used, but in excellent condition. Pretty thing. But alas, it was not destined to be a parlour beauty, but to be taken on adventures, rode hard, and put away wet. (like the time Bridalvail Fall decided to shift right on top of me). The 8x10 still looks good to me, but the 110 year old beast above looks even better.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China