Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 Kodak 2-D in real use

Re: 5x7 Kodak 2-D in real use

Quote Originally Posted by ethics_gradient View Post
    I have one on its way to me from the United States right now with a pair of film holders, looking forward to taking it out and putting it through its paces.

I do wet plate, planning to modify one holder for 5x7 plates and one for 4x5, which I expect will see more use. At the moment I've got a 4x5 Toyo monorail that's my main camera - it's very solidly built and nice to use with all the geared movements and such, but not so nice to pack and haul around.
    Same situation here. I have an Omega basic monorail. I’m trying to figure out a way to have a lens board adapter to use the wood lens board from the 2-D on the Omega — or vice versa. I’ll search on this forum and undoubtedly its being done. Have you solved this problem?

I just realized I don’t have the sliding plate. Aha, that is what the bottom track is for. I do have the extension track, so balance can be achieved that way.

The sliding block is often missing from many old cameras... But not a show-stopper as some cameras can balance so-so OK with existing tripod mounting screws (if there)...

But the missing block can also be made (without too much trouble) by getting a square of hardwood (cut to about width of rails), then go to hardware store to find steel L brackets, trim them down, and fit them to the sides of the wood block (the small trimmed part of the L goes into the camera rail groove)... Then figure out some way to create lock pressure to prevent block from sliding around... The wood block will have a hole for a T-nut to hold to the tripod head...

Not hard to design/build for a handy type...

Steve K

Foamer

You can balance the camera by simply moving the front or rea standard around. I mostly only use a tripod block when using long lenses and the extension rail. I have some very heavy 19th C. brass lenses.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I have a 2D in 8x10 format. I like it.

Front and rear focusing is convenient. If you do not have them, keep your eyes peeled for a tripod sliding block and the extension rail.

In 8x10 it is too much for me to bring outside any more at my age though. In 5x7 it should not be a problem. In the field, you will find that about any lens you put on it can stay on it while moving around as the focus rail folds up to protect the lens. "Modern" cameras in the Deardorff mold fold up too compactly to allow keeping a lens mounted.

I have not found the lack of swing/tilt on the front to be overly limiting. I tilt the whole camera down a bit and return the back to vertical. Its not actually the same as front tilt but works for near-far manipulation and it is convenient to do while under the dark cloth. `

Years ago, I spotted an adapter lens board for it at a camera show (that long ago) and jumped on it. It lets me mount my lenses on Toyo/Wista/Linhoff compatible boards for my 4x5 Zone VI and use them on the 2D too.

If you can get a 4x5 reducing back for your 5x7 you can do some interesting macro shooting.

Keep us informed on your restor project and post some pictures.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    You can balance the camera by simply moving the front or rea standard around. I mostly only use a tripod block when using long lenses and the extension rail. I have some very heavy 19th C. brass lenses.

Kent in SD
    2D parts sometimes come up on e-Bay. I have sometimes thought to get an accessory front standard to use as a lens support. Haven't done it yet.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

That’s a great idea. There’s one 1/4-20 for the usual connection. I’m going to drill and set a 3/8 T-Nut the standard distance away. Then my quick release track (forget the brand, but it’s long and fairly adjustable) can be fitted. That should work for most situations. But I’ll build a block like you suggest, not hard to do. Thanks.