Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apo Sinaron se 150mm Vs Apo Symmar L 150mm

Re: Apo Sinaron se 150mm Vs Apo Symmar L 150mm

Just to add a bit more fodder: to the best of my knowledge...Schneider, in designing/manufacturing their L-series lenses, stepped up to the plate environmentally by incorporating "ecologically safer" glass formulations, with rumors then spreading of an associated slight decrease in performance. Same as with Hasselblad and their latest rendition of the Biogon for the 905 SWC. Then again, to the extent that the lens formulas themselves were likely tweaked (and re-formulated for the Apo L's?) in concert with advancements in computer aided optical design, these rumors may be just that...rumors. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Just to add a bit more fodder: to the best of my knowledge...Schneider, in designing/manufacturing their L-series lenses, stepped up to the plate environmentally by incorporating "ecologically safer" glass formulations, with rumors then spreading of an associated slight decrease in performance. Same as with Hasselblad and their latest rendition of the Biogon for the 905 SWC. Then again, to the extent that the lens formulas themselves were likely tweaked (and re-formulated for the Apo L's?) in concert with advancements in computer aided optical design, these rumors may be just that...rumors. Anyone?
    Looking at the 150 as an example, Schneider's published MTF curves do indeed show a slight decrease in modulation at the center of the field for the L as compared to the prior non-L Apo-Symmar. Of course, at the periphery the L gains a few mm of coverage.

I have a Schneider Kreuznach Apo Symmar 150mm F/5.6 MC Lens. Which lens is that? The L or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I have a Schneider Kreuznach Apo Symmar 150mm F/5.6 MC Lens. Which lens is that? The L or what?
    It is not the L. If it was it would say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Looking at the 150 as an example, Schneider's published MTF curves do indeed show a slight decrease in modulation at the center of the field for the L as compared to the prior non-L Apo-Symmar. Of course, at the periphery the L gains a few mm of coverage.
    It occurred to me to check whether this was true even for those FLs in the L series that were not specified for increased coverage. That turns out to be only the 300 and 480. Taking a peek at the 300 L vs non-L, the same slight decrease in modulation at the center of the field is apparent. So it's not just a side effect of the increased coverage.