Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Found an Automega E-5 Autofocus enlarger body

Re: Found an Automega E-5 Autofocus enlarger body

I took possession of the enlarger today, with some confidence that I will be able to find or fabricate needed parts.

The enlarger had 2 rails, one labeled to match the accompanying 101mm Wollensack Raptar f4.5 lens plate label. See the photo of the rail label below. Your descriptions were spot on, Chauncey, Steve, and Mark. I came across more information that seemed to verify that individual rails were matched to individual lenses - and the labeling on my lens plate and rail follow that pattern. The second rail is different from the first, in form and in label, but the label does specify a lens number (F 964 if I recall), which I don't have. Perhaps that makes the second rail useless? Not a big deal, if I can focus manually.

I see KHB has cones and lens plates, and Glennview may have a useful carrier, so it's possible all the critical parts will fall into place. Fingers crossed. I'm still waffling between restoring the lamphouse to OEM specs, or remodeling the lamphouse for LEDs. The lamphouse is in decent shape, but will have to be stripped and repainted on the inside. It may require a special paint to simulate an integrating sphere, which my instruction manual says the interior was designed to duplicate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails automega_E-5_3__4.jpg   automega_E-5_3_.jpg  

For the reflector paint, Krylon flat white will be fine for B/W work...

If a cam is missing, you can add a lock so FS is extended enough for the lens to be used and manual focus... This locks the FS roller and arm so it stays about in the right place...

Autofocus enlargers depend on all things being perfect in the system, like easel thickness etc... So they usually need a tweak of fine focus in their range, so don't sweat it if a little off, it's normal... Still a real timesaver...

You can probably make a flat adapter plate to hold D series neg carriers easily...

Good luck!!!

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    For the reflector paint, Krylon flat white will be fine for B/W work...

If a cam is missing, you can add a lock so FS is extended enough for the lens to be used and manual focus... This locks the FS roller and arm so it stays about in the right place...

Autofocus enlargers depend on all things being perfect in the system, like easel thickness etc... So they usually need a tweak of fine focus in their range, so don't sweat it if a little off, it's normal... Still a real timesaver...

You can probably make a flat adapter plate to hold D series neg carriers easily...

Good luck!!!

Steve K
    Thank you Steve.

I located a negative carrier for 4x5 at KHB - it's very expensive, following the law of supply and demand, I suppose. But if I spring for it, I can run it through my rube goldberg mill and fabricate 5x7, 35mm etc variations. The respondent at KHB mentioned that he'd only seen the Automega E-5 twice since 1984, and he's an Omega dealer. Glenn at Glennview mentioned having not seen one for decades. With the rarity of the enlarger in mind, I will take care not to abominate it by applying clutzy modifications. Your idea of making an adaptor plate for more commonly available carriers chimes with me.

Take care and happy holidays
    Tom

I have both and Omega E3 and an E4. I've used the Omegalite cold light heads on Omega B, D and E enlargers and they work just fine in my honest opinion. I've been working in darkrooms for over 40 years and while my favorite head is still the Omega Condenser Head the cold light heads certainly have their advantages. While I've never used any new mod light conversions I can compare the stock lamp to the condenser head and I see no reason to modify the original light source. There has been talk of the cold lights not working well with multi grade papers however my experience is that they work fine. I do try to use the same manufacturers filters as the paper I'm using though I don't know why that would matter. I have a base for an Omega D2 that I believe will work on the E enlargers as well if you're still looking for one. E enlargers rarely appear on the used market and I don't know why. they made them from the mid 1940's to 2014 so there has to be lots of them out there. I'm guessing they go on private sale to buddies and the like before ever being listed for sale. Negative carriers are simple to make out of aluminum plate with minimal skills. All you need is a handheld jigsaw, drill and a file or two.

I may be interested in this enlarger if you still have it available.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadiver5 View Post
    I may be interested in this enlarger if you still have it available.
    Seadiver5, greetings. I'm mid-restoration on this enlarger, and haven't decided yet that I will incorporate it into my darkroom or pass it on. If the latter, I'll bear your interest in mind. At this moment, the lamphouse is out for sandblasting (interior only) - I couldn't remove the cracked paint chemically, or with the most forceful scraping (with wooden and plastic tools) that I dared.

My initial preference was to find a stock base clamp kit, but the parts I located were pricey. I cobbled together a decent base clamp system (see photo below) that seems adequate, but clugey. I'll send you a private message (PM) about your base.

If you happen to have spare gears, I'm in the market for a pair. Both nylon gears on this E-5 have a broken tooth, at the same location. I rotated one of the gears 180 degrees on the shaft (there are 12 teeth, so the 180 degree rotation doesn't desynchronize the mesh of the gears) , so I can crank the head up and down without skips, but that is surely a short term solution.

I appreciate your comments on the usefulness of the cold head. I've had some feedback on the Omegalite coldhead, and most of the criticism referenced the unsuitability of the light source for modern VC papers.

cheers
    Tom

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base_clamp.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	223113

Latest Darkroom Renovation 4 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Hi Tom,

I bought this E-3 a few years ago and it still needs a bit of work. A carpenter built the table which is similar to the original table I have seen on the internet, but made of wood. Plenty of storage underneath. This enlarger was designed to be approached from the right side, somewhat different from some other enlargers.

I believe the Omegalite can be made to behave with VC paper. The big plus for me is the lack of heat when using glass carriers. I'm looking forward to tuning this up when I can work out in the workshop without freezing
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I'm looking forward to tuning this up when I can work out in the workshop without freezing
    .... same here Daniel. I take a table outside in the sun when the days are over 40F and the wind is modest. Muddy though.

Can you tell me what the diameter of the base is. As it is your soloution is not far from the factory way of mounting without the actual plate that the factory used. It looks just like the D2/3 style mount so if it isn't any larger I'm sure the mounting plate will be the same.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    Seadiver5, greetings. I'm mid-restoration on this enlarger, and haven't decided yet that I will incorporate it into my darkroom or pass it on. If the latter, I'll bear your interest in mind. At this moment, the lamphouse is out for sandblasting (interior only) - I couldn't remove the cracked paint chemically, or with the most forceful scraping (with wooden and plastic tools) that I dared.

My initial preference was to find a stock base clamp kit, but the parts I located were pricey. I cobbled together a decent base clamp system (see photo below) that seems adequate, but clugey. I'll send you a private message (PM) about your base.

Name:	base_clamp.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	223113

Quote Originally Posted by Seadiver5 View Post
    Can you tell me what the diameter of the base is. As it is your solution is not far from the factory way of mounting without the actual plate that the factory used. It looks just like the D2/3 style mount so if it isn't any larger I'm sure the mounting plate will be the same.

Kevin
    Kevin, the enlarger base is 5.5" in diameter. and the flange is about .320" thick. I believe the D-2 baseplate is compatible with the E series, I get that from the KHB website http://store.khbphotografix.com/Base...gers-Used.html, and from other sellers whose accuracy I'm less certain of (my interactions with Kevin Brown at KHB have given me high confidence in his expertise). I contemplated buying this item from KHB, but the cost, including shipping, was more than I wanted to pay, especially after springing for a 4x5 negative carrier.

I mounted the assembled enlarger to a probably-temporary base yesterday ... seems good. No doubt I'll want to upgrade the base if/when I build a more spacious darkroom.

Name:	e-5_base.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	223166