Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found an Automega E-5 Autofocus enlarger body

Found an Automega E-5 Autofocus enlarger body

I've come across an incomplete Simmon Bros (Omega) Automega E-5 5x7 autofocus enlarger. There are also a very few loose parts (lens and lensboard, lens mounting cylinder,cable, 2 magnetic clamps) , and a raggedy manual. There is no motor (which I assume is required on account of the 'autofocus' designation), and no controller. I'm not sure that this enlarger is worth pursuing: I've perused the www and found close to no information on the enlarger itself. I saw that KHB Photografix listed the enlarger, but with very few parts available, and I see no other parts sources online.

Can anyone advise on the quality of this enlarger, about problems I'm likely to encounter if I undertake restoring it, and about sources for parts and/or expertise? Any information appreciated.

cheers
    Tom
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	automega_E-5_1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	222039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	automega_E-5_2.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	222040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	automega_E-5_3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	222042

Re: Found an Automega E-5 Autofocus enlarger body

You may have most of the parts, no motor used, looks like round fluorescent bulb head

If not bent it is usable

Get it, fix it, use it

I have one. The "autofocus" function is done by the large disc riding on one or the other of the long aluminum blades down the center. Each blade is specific to a different focal length lens (marked on the blade) and causes the focus to maintain itself as the carriage is raised or lowered by the crank (no motor involved). I think I can just make out the follower disc in your second image riding on the lower rail. What I don't see for sure are the balance springs that support the weigh of the head as it rides up and down the carriage. Maybe your model with the light (weight) cold light (luminance) head did not require them. Mine has a heavy condenser head and I have replaced the light source for it with a medium format Nikor color head. There was a special base plate attached to the base board that received the round plate on yours and allowed the enlarger to be swiveled such as from over the base board to over the floor. It would be simple to drill holes for screws (bolts with washers on the back of the board would be better) in your plate to mount it fixed to a baseboard. It's well worth setting up. It's possible a Circline tube will fit in the saucer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Walden View Post
    I have one. The "autofocus" function is done by the large disc riding on one or the other of the long aluminum blades down the center. Each blade is specific to a different focal length lens (marked on the blade) and causes the focus to maintain itself as the carriage is raised or lowered by the crank (no motor involved). I think I can just make out the follower disc in your second image riding on the lower rail. What I don't see for sure are the balance springs that support the weigh of the head as it rides up and down the carriage. Maybe your model with the light (weight) cold light (luminance) head did not require them. Mine has a heavy condenser head and I have replaced the light source for it with a medium format Nikor color head. There was a special base plate attached to the base board that received the round plate on yours and allowed the enlarger to be swiveled such as from over the base board to over the floor. It would be simple to drill holes for screws (bolts with washers on the back of the board would be better) in your plate to mount it fixed to a baseboard. It's well worth setting up. It's possible a Circline tube will fit in the saucer.
    Thank you, Chauncey. I posted the same thread in the current APUG forum, and there it was suggested that a lamphouse conversion to LED sources might be a better option than replacing the current circular fluorescent bulb (it does look like a Circline). Any thoughts on that? I think that either option is manageable.

There were two parts with the enlarger that I thought were magnetic clamps at first, but I saw similar items on the KHB Photografix web site that named them as counterbalance springs - perhaps those are the "balance springs" that you noted were missing in the photos that I posted...?

Name:	counterbalance_springs.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	222110

Though I'm lacking the round receiver for the base that you mentioned, KHB lists some "rim clenching clamps" (KHB part number 9-112-0054#) meant to clamp the column base to the baseboard. I think these might be workable (also easy to jimmy), and necessary, as the column base on the enlarger I'm looking at doesn't have a flange wide enough to house bolts adequate to anchor the enlarger.

I've got an Omega E 5x7 Autofocus chassis sitting in my garage, complete with baseboard that has the transformer for the "flying saucer" cold-light head, which came with it. I've never bothered to set it up and get it working (bellows may be in sad shape anyway) since I have as many enlargers in my darkroom as possible anyway.

Still, it would be a shame to toss it. I'm hoping to find a good home for it someday.

Doremus

The balance springs are most likely more valued than the entire enlarger

Try with the correct cheap lamp

https://www.amazon.com/Light-Bulbs-C...n%3A6105692011

Quote Originally Posted by tomwilliams View Post
    Thank you, Chauncey. I posted the same thread in the current APUG forum, and there it was suggested that a lamphouse conversion to LED sources might be a better option than replacing the current circular fluorescent bulb (it does look like a Circline). Any thoughts on that? I think that either option is manageable.

There were two parts with the enlarger that I thought were magnetic clamps at first, but I saw similar items on the KHB Photografix web site that named them as counterbalance springs - perhaps those are the "balance springs" that you noted were missing in the photos that I posted...?

Name:	counterbalance_springs.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	222110

Though I'm lacking the round receiver for the base that you mentioned, KHB lists some "rim clenching clamps" (KHB part number 9-112-0054#) meant to clamp the column base to the baseboard. I think these might be workable (also easy to jimmy), and necessary, as the column base on the enlarger I'm looking at doesn't have a flange wide enough to house bolts adequate to anchor the enlarger.

The clamps will do the trick. The clamps on mine are part of a circular plate that what you have sits on. The springs go on like this. Be careful, they are powerful. You can see that I had to find a replacement for one. Mine has a 3rd spring that goes in the opposite direction but yours mightClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Springs.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	222114 be OK without it. Interesting in Tin Can's link that they are making LED Circlines. They seem to be on the cold side so would have to check on the actinic values. Since you didn't mention having the separate transformer/ballast that Doremus mentioned, you might have to rig something up anyway.

I have a D version sitting in storage as parts... The other important thing with these is it might need the lens cones (hard to get now)... But the proper extension cone can be cobbled together if you are handy...

See if you can make it light, and then try to focus it with your FL lens...

If you look carefully at the long cams inside the column, they should be marked for the FL used with them... Make sure they match for your lenses...

Steve K

It's quite possible to use any appropriate f.l. lens with these, and manually focus it. We had a 4x5 D3 on the job long ago (thirty years or more), and we focused it by hand. The cams were for specific lenses (that we weren't using). But those details are hazy now...

Chauncey: Interesting in Tin Can's link that they are making LED Circlines. They seem to be on the cold side so would have to check on the actinic values. Since you didn't mention having the separate transformer/ballast that Doremus mentioned, you might have to rig something up anyway.

I didn't see a ballast with the enlarger ... maybe that will cinch the deal for LEDs. I'll look into Circlines and ballasts a bit more first.

"Actinic" - I can't hear the word without flashing back to Doc Smith's books, the Grey Lensman and Skylark Duquesne series.

Steve K: I have a D version sitting in storage as parts... The other important thing with these is it might need the lens cones (hard to get now)... But the proper extension cone can be cobbled together if you are handy...

Yes, I see KHB has some cones in stock, with a premium price tag. I have some old 6" stove pipe around .....