Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ULF Swing-Lens Panoramic Cameras?

Re: 24x60 camera

Quote Originally Posted by Ron in Arcata California View Post
    Here is a photo of my 24" x 60" swing lens camera. It uses a 19 inch dagor. It was built to replicate the 1906 San Francisco panorama by George Lawrence. April 18th 2006 the camera was flown in position with a helicopter because kites like Lawrence used are now illegal to fly over the city.
    Attachment 222036
    Hello Ron,
    Can you share any details on your 24" x 60" swing lens camera, especially the swing mechanism, and the way film is loaded and held in place...thanks

Re: ULF Swing-Lens Panoramic Cameras?

Another learning source for moving a lens

https://www.jameco.com/z/ANGCLKV1-Wi...+-+DS+REACTIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie W View Post
    Hello Ron,
    Can you share any details on your 24" x 60" swing lens camera, especially the swing mechanism, and the way film is loaded and held in place...thanks
    I too would be interested in how this project came into being. Its got to be about as complex as a DIY/custom LF reflex camera.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I remember reading about this project when you first completed it. I was awed and amazed then, and am still awed and amazed now.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

24x60 camera details

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie W View Post
    Hello Ron,
    I will gladly post more info about the swing lens camera but I need a bunch of time to straighten out my website and reload the info there. It has been more than hectic for me since I was in a bad car accident in Canada. A woman crossed two lanes and smacked me head on. Thirteen broken ribs, punctured lung, broken arm and a pulverized heel have slowed me down a bit. I'm lucky, she lost her 16 year old son.

So for now I am in California as living in Alaska during the winter is almost impossible for my wife and I.

Ron in Alaska/ Ron in Arcata California

A helicopter ride is like flying in a hardware store paint shaker in my own experience.

If the project could be repeated in a blimp it might result in better sharpness.

Any hope of that?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

As far as example images, there is a guy named David Parker who has used a swing lens panoramic camera extensively. I think each image covers about a 180 degree field of view, so the results are interesting. For a taste, try this gallery of images from his web page:

https://davidparkerphotographer.com/...enomenal-world

I think I saw an interview somewhere in which he tells exactly what camera he uses. Here is an interview, that I don't think contains specifically what camera he uses (I've read it before, but am too busy today to check through it carefully):

https://www.conversations.org/story.php?sid=71

In addition to the strange perspective afforded by an unnaturally wide view, Parker also uses the fact that the camera is panning to do things like insert himself into the landscape in several places, or stand in one place until his shadow is captured, then move out of the image, or insert just his hand and forearm in several places.

I own both books, The Phenomenal World and Myth and Landscape (a combination of images from his Sirens and New Desert Myths portfolios) by him. The latter provides more bang for your buck, but the images can be a bit redundant. The first book has far fewer images and maybe slightly lesser quality printing, but more variety. Every image in it is on the web page, so you could just go with that!

h20man

Good source material for 360

However I need to see a 180 of squares and straight lines to gain relative perspective of angles

That's why I am waiting for a 6X17 curve back, with it I will compare 6X17 flat back, I already use

Thank you

Scovil also made a large swing lens camera around 1895. It’s an interesting one to research.

Love this camera, Ron!