Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126

    Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Hi,

    I would like to share my 4x5" images with friends, and also for critique
    here in the forum.

    I go to a lab where they scan my negatives. I think I pay too much
    to have them scanned.

    I would like to have a simple GPC flatbed scanner.

    GPC = Good, Pretty, and Cheap,
    or at least not so expensive.

    I want to get enough resolution to print my negs up to 5x7",
    or perhaps to a maximum of 8x10"

    What flatbed scanner would you recommend me?

    Thank you, kind regards!

    Ig

  2. #2
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Look for an Epson 4990.
    Pretty reliable, decent scans up to 8x10 film and not too expensive on the used market.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    44

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Used Epson scanner is a wise choice as Ari said. But it looks like there is no drivers for Windows 10 for older Epson models.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    138

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Used Epson scanner is a wise choice as Ari said. But it looks like there is no drivers for Windows 10 for older Epson models.
    vuescan: includes drivers. Plus, pretty good once over the learning curve;

  5. #5
    Alan Klein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    New Jersey was NYC
    Posts
    1,393

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    A used V700 from Epson.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Canada or France
    Posts
    98

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Epson 4990 are good but hard to find. I have an older 4490 that's even cheaper, it won't scan wide enough for a 4x5 negative but you can scan it in 2 passes and stich the images together with softwares like Image Composite Editor.
    It takes more time but it was the best GPC scanner for me.

    Here is an example of an 8x10 negative scanned in 4 passes and stitched together :


    Saint John, NB Canada view from Fort Howe's hill by T. Chabry, on Flickr

  7. #7
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Chabry View Post
    Epson 4990 are good but hard to find. I have an older 4490 that's even cheaper, it won't scan wide enough for a 4x5 negative but you can scan it in 2 passes and stich the images together with softwares like Image Composite Editor.
    It takes more time but it was the best GPC scanner for me.
    There are twelve 4990 scanners on eBay right now. Average price is probably around $200 for a good unit with all accessories.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,824

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Been using a Epson 4990 for years, works good enough for film to digital file scans. About zero motivation or incentive to get another scanner in any way. Be aware the plastics used outgas leaving a film of diffusion on the inside surface of the scanner's glass. Not difficult to remove the glass, clean, re-install.

    ~Makes a difference.

    The later V700 then V750 are much the same making the high value scanner 4990. The 4990 should come with a set of 35mm, 120, 4x5 and "film area guide" mask. Check this before purchase as these are useful.


    Bernice

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Canada or France
    Posts
    98

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    There are twelve 4990 scanners on eBay right now. Average price is probably around $200 for a good unit with all accessories.
    That's what I meant, there are none in local ads and I paid $30 for my 4490 scanner with all accessories.

  10. #10
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    5,951

    Re: Hi : )!!! - Please suggest me GPC flatbed scanner

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Chabry View Post
    That's what I meant, there are none in local ads and I paid $30 for my 4490 scanner with all accessories.
    Nice!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 163
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2021, 13:13
  2. How big is a 4x5 B&W from flatbed scanner
    By Bill_1856 in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2009, 10:19
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27-Sep-2004, 08:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •