Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch "How was it made? Wet Collodion

Watch "How was it made? Wet Collodion

Best very short wet plate show and tell yet

It also has a last step, I have never heard of

Well under 3 minutes

https://youtu.be/pNyQ0nfMsxo

Re: Watch "How was it made? Wet Collodion

That last 30 seconds delivers only partial information and some very misleading information too: at no point is Fixing the negative mentioned. More importantly, exposing the negative to strong light AFTER washing but BEFORE fixing is done to further reduce the silver and give a slight boost to the image density - an asset when making a collodion negative, especially if its to be used for Salt or Albumen printing. It has absolutely nothing to do with making the image permanent or improving its ability to withstand usage as a negative. That part is very misleading: they got important details wrong.

multiplex

Photography is magical.
    Thanks TC!

John

I had already seen this but I agree there’s much better introductory videos out there, like Robert Bieber’s.

It is 2 minutes 40 seconds of a very good video giving a slight glimpse at process

I wish more, including me, made videos half as good

Nobody will think it is the ..."the rest of the story"...

perhap you all missed

"The wet collodion process was developed by English sculptor Frederick Scott Archer around 1852. Archer realised that combining the best qualities of the earlier daguerreotype and calotype processes he could create a technique that made sharp yet reproducible images from glass negatives. Almundena Romero is an artist and leading expert in early photographic techniques. In this film she demonstrates creating a wet collodion portrait.

Find out more about photographic processes: https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/photog...

but the artist is only a woman!!!

Thanks.

Given some of the posts above, it might be helpful to know why this video was made. It is not a YouTube "how-to-do-it" video. As Tin Can's posts suggest, it is also quite a bit more professional than the average YouTube video.

In 2018, the Victoria and Albert Museum opened a new Photography Centre that among other things has doubled its photography exhibition space. As part of this initiative, the museum took over the entire Royal Photographic Society collection of photographs. It also commissioned a new series of photographs by Thomas Ruff. There are many articles about the new space, such as this one in The Guardian that coincided with the opening: Please don't wake the hippo! The V&A unpacks its glorious photography archive

The Victoria and Albert has made several videos for the new space. These are both on its website and on the Photography Playlist on its YouTube channel. The video about the collodion process is one of them. It is a brief introduction to the process for museum and website visitors, not a recipe. It features photographer Almudena Romero, who has both a website and Instagram account for those who are interested. Judging from the credits, the video was shot at Dimbola Lodge on the Isle of Wight. No doubt the reason is that the Museum was also making a video about Julia Margaret Cameron, which is also on its YouTube channel. Dimbola Lodge, now a centre for Cameron's work, was Cameron's home. If you happen to be on Wight, Dimbola is worth a visit.

The Victoria and Albert released the video below a few months before the new Photography Centre opened:

Introducing the Photography Collection

Might as well add that the Victoria & Albert is one of my favourite museums. Once the pandemic is under control, and I can get to London for a week, the new Photography Centre will be high on the list of places that I want to visit.

https://artsandculture.google.com/pa...-albert-museum

Fake Millennium ano 2000 I was in London for a month going to the endless array of museums

So many, so quickly, it is now a blur

It was a fun Month, I combined 2 vacations from my very good job

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    It is 2 minutes 40 seconds of a very good video giving a slight glimpse at process

I wish more, including me, made videos half as good

Nobody will think it is the ..."the rest of the story"...
    Absolutely, yes. But the video delivers a serious bit of misinformation at the end, so regardless of how well done it is, it still provides misinformation. That could so easily have been avoided, with care.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Given some of the posts above, it might be helpful to know why this video was made. It is not a YouTube "how-to-do-it" video.
    I understand that. Clearly you are not going to teach a process like Wet Plate Collodion in a 2 minute video. But I find it irksome that the video does provide a rather significant piece of misinformation at the end. Even Randy was fooled by it.