Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Taking film in and out of the freezer

Re: Taking film in and out of the freezer

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Isn't it the opposite? If you take your camera used outside in cold weather and bring it into a warm house, then condensation occurs. Not the other way around. That's why you don't open the sealed cold film pack from the freezer until it has thawed out to room temperature.
    that's not the opposite of what i said, that's half of what i said. any time you cool air down past the dew point you get condensation. doesn't matter if that air is inside a plastic bag of film being cooled because you just placed it in a freezer or the air that gets into the bag when you open it and is cooled by the cold film you just took out of the freezer. if you take your camera outside in cold weather the indoor air in your camera will cool down and cause condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Correct. Condensation is about cooling air to its dew point, or saturating it with water vapor so that it cannot hold more water. The typical condensation around a soda can happens when warm air hits the cold surface, it reaches its dew point and condenses. So you need to cool the air by an object to create condensation around that object.
    you're just saying exactly what i said in the comment he's objecting to...

Re: Taking film in and out of the freezer (color transparency film)

By the way, depending on temperature and humidity level, you can also condense out if you keep film in the fridge — it’s not only a freezer issue. For example at 50% relative humidity, the dew point of air at a temperature of 12C is about 2-3C which is the typical cooling temperature of a fridge.

You could also use silica desiccant packs to help keep the film dry in the freezer and elsewhere. Just stick the film and silica packs in a ZipLock. The packs absorb moisture.
    https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Premium-P.../dp/B00DYKTS9C

Taking film in and out of the freezer

It’s been a while since there’s been a post to this thread.

Waking it up a bit because I finally found where to get big enough bags inexpensively to store 8 x 10 in film.

Restaurant Depot is located in most major cities.

I found 13 x 15.6“ Ziploc-style freezerbags.
    Perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a couple of silica gel packets in the bag to absorb any remaining water vapor and humidity.

I have been pulling the film out of the freezer, stowed in freezer bags, and letting it adjust to room temperature before loading holders for 40 years with no issues.
    Once I am done loading, the leftover film returns to the freezer. Repeat again and again. No issues ever.

vacuum sealed bags for the freezer. I used to separate 100 sheets into 10 sheet packs and suck the air out of them with a food vacuum sealer.