Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Music as analogy for LF photography

Re: Music as analogy for LF photography

Quote Originally Posted by lab black View Post
    Some time ago, I sat down with Paul Caponigro. He asked me what I thought of his images. Reviewing the totality of my language repository, unable to find a proper response, I resisted the temptation to clench my fist with my thumb pointing skyward while responding with "Like it!" In my wide-eyed, poorly stocked, left hemisphere silence, he then took me over to the piano and played. That completely changed how I now interpret his prints. To be completely transparent, it wasn't only the mood and feeling that he created in his music, it is the memory of the elegant fluidity of his hands that I remember when I now experience his photographs.
    What a wonderful idea for a new invention. A picture frame that plays an appropriate song when someone approaches. It's sort of like my video slide shows I play from Youtube or on my Tv or monitor when I add a musical background to the video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MogdCeRNqBM

I don't generally associate music with my images...with a few exceptions.
    However, I NEED music when I'm in the darkroom processing film....and even more so when printing.

movies

Quote Originally Posted by lab black View Post
    Some time ago, I sat down with Paul Caponigro. He asked me what I thought of his images. Reviewing the totality of my language repository, unable to find a proper response, I resisted the temptation to clench my fist with my thumb pointing skyward while responding with "Like it!" In my wide-eyed, poorly stocked, left hemisphere silence, he then took me over to the piano and played. That completely changed how I now interpret his prints. To be completely transparent, it wasn't only the mood and feeling that he created in his music, it is the memory of the elegant fluidity of his hands that I remember when I now experience his photographs.
    That’s a fun story.

And it raises a curious question.

If Caponigro next asked what you thought about his piano piece, would you once again experience a loss of words, and would he then walk you right back to the same print – and would the print become the means by which you interpret his piano music?

(Also curious if you recall what Caponigro played! Robert Schumann? Fats Waller? Elton John? His own original music?)

What would cinema or videos be like if they had no sound track?

Bernice

Maybe Caponigro just wanted to know if the guy liked his pictures or not, and when he sensed the guy was instead trying to conjure a paragraph of random analogies he decided to entertain himself at the piano while he waited.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    That's the "fat lady" who was singing or someone playing a piano live in the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    Without mixed media and motion, they would be in a jam... Freezing one moment in time, in few shots and other devices to keep the "story" moving along until conclusion...

We, on the other hand have to visualize a scene within a moment, hope it connects to a viewer, provides some rationale in the information we search for, sits alone without being bolstered by other media to elaborate, and shown to an audience with short attention spans who's receptors have been dulled from input overload...

Interesting challenge!!!

Steve K

lab black

Heroique

I cannot remember the exact piece that Paul played. I will have to go back and check my Liszt ...
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

That made the whole thread worthwhile...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China