Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Music as analogy for LF photography

Re: Music as analogy for LF photography

To paraphrase a saying about success, creating art is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Viewing art is 90% inspiration and 10% intellectualization.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    To paraphrase a saying about success, creating art is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Viewing art is 90% inspiration and 10% intellectualization.
    In my experience there are sometimes exceptions to the case of liking something in two seconds or not liking it. There are works that are kind of a “slower burn” - ie you don’t fall all over yourself immediately but it somehow plants a seed of sorts. Note I’m not talking about learning to appreciate something on an intellectual level, but genuine feelings. I’ll also differentiate this type of experience from a changing taste, which of course can also change how we really feel about something over time.

Another thing that can sometimes make a difference in whether or not one is genuinely attracted to a work is the execution. Not just the technical continuum (assume a range from competent to masterful) but “artistry” (lousy word for it but I can’t think of anything better right now). I would say there are more layers to this, or at least it is more obviously involved, in the case of music versus other artforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Another thing that can sometimes make a difference in whether or not one is genuinely attracted to a work is the execution. Not just the technical continuum (assume a range from competent to masterful) but “artistry” (lousy word for it but I can’t think of anything better right now). I would say there are more layers to this, or at least it is more obviously involved, in the case of music versus other artforms.
    I would say more obviously involved, especially as Doremus mentioned about time, the 'artistry' of the musician's performance is carried over through time for the audience to follow. And of course, many other factors.

artistry -- agreed, not the best word. A full physical, intellectual, and emotional response to the spirit of work performed? The French must have a word for it...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

When viewing museum art, which I have done extensively in EU, Pre-EU, Canada, Hawaii, USA, Mexico

I try to actively judge for myself and don't read the little or big signs

Nor do I use a computer, cell phone or 'the thing' to listen to idiotic verbiage inside a gallery/museum

If I 'Like!' an artwork I use books or now my home computer for research and return

I also go to Cathedrals, take Mass, so I can hear the organ, free and they chase out tourists

Afternoon organ practice is also free, but the room needs bodies to temper the sounds

Now retired since 2008, I go slow, everywhere

and soak

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Here's the Italian metaphor for the two-second rule:

"When the moon hits-a your eye like-a big-a pizza pie, that's amore."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69O4PXzAQ5Y

For that true Italian metaphoric feeling, I prefer:

"Pay Up or Next Time We'll Rearrange More Than Just Your Furniture." by the Soprano Brothers
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    In my experience there are sometimes exceptions to the case of liking something in two seconds or not liking it. There are works that are kind of a “slower burn” - ie you don’t fall all over yourself immediately but it somehow plants a seed of sorts. Note I’m not talking about learning to appreciate something on an intellectual level, but genuine feelings. I’ll also differentiate this type of experience from a changing taste, which of course can also change how we really feel about something over time.

I fully agree with the gist of your first paragraph, and find that even applies to me with my own work.

Regarding your second paragraph, there are many ways to put our ideas into words, but an approach I ran across recently, that I like, is to think of an artistic trinity consisting of conceptual, aesthetic, and technical. I think the aesthetic part is what you are trying to put your finger on. In my limited musical knowledge, the technical part would be the right notes at the right times, the aesthetic would be the voicing and tone. I suppose conceptual would be maybe the overall "feel" imparted by the musician(s) to the piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    For that true Italian metaphoric feeling, I prefer:

"Pay Up or Next Time We'll Rearrange More Than Just Your Furniture." by the Soprano Brothers
    A bit off topic, but my brother-in-law lived in Sicily for a few years. He and his family rented a place from a guy who had paid the local Mafia for protection. At some point someone came in and stole most of the brother-in-law's family's stuff. He reported it to the landlord, who asked them to find something to do for a few hours. They did, and when they returned, everything was back exactly where it had come from!

lab black

Some time ago, I sat down with Paul Caponigro. He asked me what I thought of his images. Reviewing the totality of my language repository, unable to find a proper response, I resisted the temptation to clench my fist with my thumb pointing skyward while responding with "Like it!" In my wide-eyed, poorly stocked, left hemisphere silence, he then took me over to the piano and played. That completely changed how I now interpret his prints. To be completely transparent, it wasn't only the mood and feeling that he created in his music, it is the memory of the elegant fluidity of his hands that I remember when I now experience his photographs.
    "We work in the dark, we do what we can, we give what we have."
    Henry James

Quote Originally Posted by h2oman View Post
    A bit off topic, but my brother-in-law lived in Sicily for a few years. He and his family rented a place from a guy who had paid the local Mafia for protection. At some point someone came in and stole most of the brother-in-law's family's stuff. He reported it to the landlord, who asked them to find something to do for a few hours. They did, and when they returned, everything was back exactly where it had come from!
    Could you find out if my camera's there?