Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Music as analogy for LF photography

Re: Music as analogy for LF photography

On another note, we have become so accustomed these days to tear down visionaries, those high risk takers within the construct of capitalism who venture to go beyond imagination to realize in tangible form what we didn't know we wanted or needed. So on paper Elon is the richest individual in the world. Why do we care? Jeolousy? For one person to have the vision, tenacity, perseverence, energy, and intelligence to pull off this "coup" is quite astonishing. I don't recall Steve Jobs being criticized to such an extent as Elon, and yet we mostly own Apple products now thanks to him, and many will eventually be in Tesla electric cars, playing computer games while AI controls the automobile. I guess the anticulture trend will eventually find a reason to mock Einstein for his creative mind and world changing mathematics. We ARE NOT all equal, but we have the right to pursue happiness, but that shouldn't mean making ourselves feel better by underming foundational leaders with crass comments. Likely thier critics have invested in bitcoin rather than Tesla stock, to "be different", counter culture nonsense.

pd

All very good and comprehensible even to me

I have to ask you, please reconsider this from your post #140 '(noone needs psilocybin etc)'

We are curing some PTSD with LSD legally and quickly

I do think if Doctor prescribed very small amounts in Nature with a sober guide results would be better, babbling brook under trees is ideal

Yes, I have, long ago, I have no desire to use it again, nor need

Nice try with the “anti-culture” bit and throwing someone like Einstein in with Musk, which is preposterous. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    On another note, we have become so accustomed these days to tear down visionaries, those high risk takers within the construct of capitalism who venture to go beyond imagination to realize in tangible form what we didn't know we wanted or needed. So on paper Elon is the richest individual in the world. Why do we care? Jeolousy? For one person to have the vision, tenacity, perseverence, energy, and intelligence to pull off this "coup" is quite astonishing. I don't recall Steve Jobs being criticized to such an extent as Elon, and yet we mostly own Apple products now thanks to him, and many will eventually be in Tesla electric cars, playing computer games while AI controls the automobile. I guess the anticulture trend will eventually find a reason to mock Einstein for his creative mind and world changing mathematics. We ARE NOT all equal, but we have the right to pursue happiness, but that shouldn't mean making ourselves feel better by underming foundational leaders with crass comments. Likely thier critics have invested in bitcoin rather than Tesla stock, to "be different", counter culture nonsense.

Unfortunately, my tinnitus has eliminated the quietness I used to find from a hike in the woods.

And here it was my informed impression that tinnitus was an “excuse” to avoid listening to a nagging spouse .

On another note, we have become so accustomed these days to tear down visionaries...
    Ahhhh, the cult of the ordinary. Nasty....
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Your choice of words is awkward, potentially offensive and unintended, clearly baiting and unsympathetic to the “working class hero” (thanks JL), Vaughn.

There is a sense of entitlement among many including the media at large that any highly successful person is fair game to be pulled down from their “high horse”. They must be squeaky clean, have an amiable personality, and offend no one during their climb to success to avoid criticism. Musk has been called many noxious names for his public persona, and and yet if you look squarely at what he is accomplishing including remaining “profitable” by exchange of carbon credits and bitcoin, I see no reason to belittle the man. The market has clearly bought into his vision and are showing that with fresh equity. But it’s the sense of equanimity brought on by perhaps Sanders and others that we are all equal and to hell with meritorious recognition; that is the underbelly of the counter culture set.

Back on track to the OP’s initial thoughts on music: if in an isolated space away from human induced noise, having all senses in tune with the surroundings, can be intoxicating enough. Otherwise Samuel Barber or JS Bach (St Anne’s Fugue, Goldberg Variations etc), or classical Indian music can contribute to an initial mood. I am not sure how one connects the dots in viewing images inspired by Copland’s Appalachian Spring for instance, but I am anxious to learn.

I attach one photo taken where faces, animals, devils, human forms appear to those who are tuned in (this is one of many).
    I enjoyed reading your entire post. Very thoughtful. Might one argue, however, that this experience happens to each and every human to some degree (conscious or not), whenever they examine anything with abstract patterning, whether they’re “tuned-in” or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Unfortunately, my tinnitus has eliminated the quietness I used to find from a hike in the woods.
    I suffer from very mild Tinnitus, but only in a very quiet wilderness where no city (or home-dwelling) noise deactivates it. When I first noticed it in the woods, I thought it was the faint hum of timbering machinery from a few miles away. I identified it for what it was when I noticed that any momentary, local sound made it disappear, followed by 1-2 seconds of blissful silence, followed by its return. For example, I might clap my hands once and it disappears, but 1-2 seconds later it’s back. If it were merely the sound of blood circulation in my ears (which most people can hear when it’s quiet), it wouldn’t disappear like that. The good news is it hasn’t grown beyond its faint level as I grow older – but I fear the moment when it starts on that path, and tremble that it might start sounding less like a hum, and more like a nagging spouse! I can’t imagine a worse Hell on earth: eternal henpecking in a quiet wilderness. It might even drown out the music I occasionally hear when I compose on the GG.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Ahhhh, the cult of the ordinary. Nasty....
    Don’t forget the myth of the meritocracy, not to mention terribly low standards for what constitutes exceptionalism. Nasty...

Your choice of words is awkward, potentially offensive and unintended, clearly baiting and unsympathetic to the “working class hero” (thanks JL), Vaughn.
    Actually, I was agreeing with you -- the cult of the ordinary tends to dislike the visionaries, the outliers, and the voices of change...and can be quite nasty about it. Much easier to throw stones than gather understanding. It is a human condition, not a political one. And there is as much danger in worshiping them, also. But Elon is a strange kettle of fish. I have a close relative who worked for Tesla in the East Bay. He tried hard not to be around when Elon showed up. Too much uncertainty to want to deal with.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China