Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Journey to build a new darkroom - Build log

Re: Journey to build a new darkroom - Build log

We used those Daytons for years nearly continuously

We made rectangular outlets to keep a lot of air blowing on 1600 f exhaust pipes in rooms at 140 f

Very reliable

Here is a video update on the sink-level ventilation and why I changed my plans away from the pipe with the holes running the length of the sink. I finished setting up the ventilation blower and hooked it up to the sink ventilation that I was planning to use but found that even with a 1202 CFM blower, the pipe with holes running the length of the sink wasn't effective at removing fumes/vapor (I did a smoke test using incense). I ended up deciding to remove the pipe and switch to a movable point-source solution with a mini hood which works much better and achieves the goal of moving air (and fumes) across the surface of the sink to the blower without allowing it to travel up to face level. The video discusses my tests and the change of plans as well as shows the difference in effectiveness between the two methods.

Here’s a quick pic of the water filtration system set up and running like a charm. I’ll post a video with progress updates soon showing how it all works. I have hot and cold water running through their own dedicated filters. I used KleenWater filters which are well reviewed. They make various purpose build home water filtration systems including a filter specifically for hot water which is key. I’ve seen in a lot of people’s setups folks running hot and cold water through standard whole home water filters but most of those filters are designed for filtering cold water up to a low max temp coming straight off your main water line. Running hot water through those filters will prematurely degrade the filter insert and the casing materials and seals risk rupture because they’re not designed for higher temps. The KleenWater hot water filter is made of a stronger composite material designed to withstand higher water temps coming out of a hot water heater and they use dedicated filters also designed for higher temps.

I have both filters coming off of splitters attached to the hot and cold water sources for our washing machine. Dedicated lines run to each with valves on both the input and output sides of the filters as safety shut-offs. Each then runs to the faucet at the sink.

I’ve not set myself up to have to instal another set for the main house because my wife wasn’t as amused as I was that the darkroom has the highest quality water in the whole house

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D65CFFA9-4BF1-4205-AF0C-498E0F8196F3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	223401

It's taken a little while to get around to making a video to show the finished darkroom but here it is. Everything came out great and I've been using it daily. I'll be making little updates as I go as needed but so far I'm loving it. Here is a little video showing a tour of the space.

Congratulations on your completed project. I love the whiteboard solution! I have a tiny board in mine. It’s time for a larger one.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Here is a quick update on the darkroom. I made some final changes and additions and have gotten everything into place. I also just added a new enlarger (Saunders/LPL 4550XLG with VCCE head) which I've just installed over the past couple of days. Here is the video tour of the finished darkroom.

Like your DR quick tour while barefoot!
    Tin Can

Very nicely done. Looks great. I like your fume box. Darkroom work is so much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Like your DR quick tour while barefoot!
    Hahaha barefoot always!

Quote Originally Posted by Duolab123 View Post
    Very nicely done. Looks great. I like your fume box. Darkroom work is so much fun!
    Thank you! Yea the fume box is one of my favorite features. It lets me work with some really cool materials that I otherwise wouldn't be able to manage without it!

Drew Wiley

I have a huge variable-power industrial duty squirrel-cage pull fan mounted to the exterior of the building. Pulling air works a lot better than pushing it, and outside mounting isolates most of the sound noise. Squirrel cages are fairly quiet anyway; and this one was built for long-term outdoor installation. I generally run it low, but can instantly rev it up if necessary. And due to its surplus of power, I also feed accessory ducts into the top of the main fume hood in the sink room, whether cooling ducts from colorheads or a flexible duct I can position directly over noxious chemicals being mixed. For this latter application includes an inline booster fan to pull the air into the main duct system especially fast. Since it's only turned on briefly, I don't mind its greater noise.