Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arista EDU and Foma 400 - Are you using them in spite of .... ??

Drew Wiley

Re: Arista EDU and Foma 400 - Are you using them in spite of .... ??

I put too much work into my shots to gamble with Foma/Arista films. Learned that lesson the hard way. For example, the alleged 200 speed product has the longest straight line, and least toe, of any current film. But it isn't anywhere near 200 speed, has abominable long exposure characteristics, and for me at least, twice had real headache substandard quality control issues (8X10 sheet film). Every other shot had to be thrown away. How does that save money? Then there was all that extra spotting of zits and crack lines on prints from the partially salvageable shots.

Like Bernice noted, this film develops VERY fast. My try "normal" in PMK was only 6min at 20C. And while truly having an impressive straight line characteristic, this film is not even remotely as development flexible per gamma range as Super XX or even Bergger 200. Much finer grained, however.

Now to the more specific question about the 400 speed product instead. I tried a box of 8x10 of that once. It was OK, just OK. No problems, but nothing special either. Wasn't impressed; but at least I didn't have the same defect issues as the 200 speed variety. Prints from pyro negs (either pyrocat or pyrogallol) looked a bit gritty. Tonal range was decent, but rather ordinary. For me, it was another waste of money. I'll stick with TMY, TMX, FP4, and HP5 instead. 8X10 photography is too much work for ho-hum results.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I haven’t looked at the data sheets for the slower speeds, but at least in the case of the 400 Foma, I find it crappy they use “ISO” all over the place referring to exposure index numbers while it is not an ISO 400 film based on anything I see on their graphs (although it is still possible it is ISO 400 in some unnamed voodoo developer). Not many photographers are interested in trying to decipher this stuff which is why we have standardized speed methods such as ISO in the first place. If Foma says it is ISO 400, it should meet the ISO speed criteria in a fairly standard developer, so that people can set their meters to 400 and have reasonable expectations without nasty surprises.
    ISO speeds are determined by the manufacturer according to the standards set. The normal course is to use film straight off the production line in a higher potency developer than is generally available ( I think I still have a copy of the developer formula somewhere). It does not take into account the alteration in speed which may come about during storage prior to shipment, or various developing methods and developers available to the general public.. During my 80+ years in photography I have tested and used a multitude of films. The only one I ever tested which came close to the mfg ISO, was Super XX prior to the adoption of ASA as a standard. When ASA was adopted the speed assigned to Super XX increased from Weston 100 to ASA 200. The film formula hadn't been changed.

After 3 rolls of Arista EDU 200/Foma in 120 roll, this film comes up as a Meh... They still have quality control issues, does not respond to B&W contrast filters well and ...

Likely not going to use these films again. Back to Ilford, Kodak and Fuji..

Bernice

Niels

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    After 3 rolls of Arista EDU 200/Foma in 120 roll, this film comes up as a Meh... They still have quality control issues…
    Foma 120 seem to particularly problematic - don’t know why.

My personal experiences with Foma 200 (shot @ 100) has been fine in both 35mm and 4x5.
    If I notice problems, it can mostly be attributed to my slopy handling of the more fragile emulsion.
    ----
    Niels

I shoot Arista 400 at 200 and get good results. I have also pushed their ISO 100 film to 400 and found the shadows didn't develop well, though the highlights got darker, making for a pretty high contrast negative (using D-76 1:1). I'm not looking for pristine results though.

Drew Wiley

The 200 product certainly doesn't accept boosted contrast "plus" development like true 200's such as Super-XX or even Bergger 200 did. That might not be a terrible limitation to typical silver-gelatin printers;
    but practitioners of long-scale UV contact processes, and even Azo printing, hated this film for its shortfall in that respect. It's actually been around a long time. I first remember it as being marketed under the "Classic 200" sheet film label.

Arista EDU / Foma 200 does not like "plus" development.. verified. It's an ok film for what it is.

Bernice

Just got a box of Foma 400 (5x7 format) - will give it a shot to see how it works for me

Arista 400 EDU 5x7 developed in Rodinal 1:50 is one of my go-to combinations.
    I plan on mixing up some D-23 to try with it for comparison.

These days I've been using DDX.
    Never tried Rodinal, I thought it was for slow emulsions only?

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Arista 400 EDU 5x7 developed in Rodinal 1:50 is one of my go-to combinations.
    I plan on mixing up some D-23 to try with it for comparison.