Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Arista EDU and Foma 400 - Are you using them in spite of .... ??

Re: Arista EDU and Foma 400 - Are you using them in spite of .... ??

For contact prints from 5x7, grain isn't much of an issue. Rodinal is economical, easy to mix, the concentrate keeps forever, and it has great 'adjacency effect'. I don't like mushy grain.
    That's my preferred method, feel free to do what works best for you.
    Last edited by Dugan; 4-Jul-2022 at 16:11. Reason: More cowbell.

Drew Wiley

Ahhh .... contact prints. I seldom do them, but was looking at some of my past 8x10 contacts today, and getting mighty tempted to get back into it, at least when my color printing season winds down in the Fall. Certain films I don't particularly appreciate for enlargement usage, like TRI-X, can excel in contact printing. But since I already have a fair amount of TMY on hand, that's what it's likely to be. I'll stick with PMK for that application too. Want a versatile neg.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    The 200 product certainly doesn't accept boosted contrast "plus" development [...]
    practitioners of long-scale UV contact processes, and even Azo printing, hated this film for its shortfall in that respect.
    I know it's been a long time since you used this film, but what were your problems with extended development of Fomapan 200?

Drew Wiley

The inability of Foma 200 to build linear contrast with extended development has never changed from its inception. I once heard Michael Smith say some unrepeatable expletives about it, for this reason; that's why he stockpiled traditional Super XX. But that was spoken in context of Azo printing, and him standardizing on Gr 2 paper, and sometimes wanting something equivalent to N+2 dev in the neg. I don't think the typical silver-gelatin printer needs that kind of expansion unless they badly underestimate something to begin with. I wouldn't worry about it much with today's VC papers and sheet film per se, where individual sheets can be sorted out for specific development, moderately differently at least. My personal problem with Foma 200 was with the unacceptably dicey quality control and the horrible reciprocity characteristics.

The 400 sheet film was workable, and perhaps an adequate learner film. I just didn't find anything special about it; and it simply wasn't a good match for my own expectations.
    It tended to get conspicuously grainy in pyro, so there was that too.

Scott Davis

I used the Fomapan 200 (in the guise of Arista.EDU film) extensively in 5x7 and 8x10 format. Shoot it at 100, develop it in Pyrocat HD, and it makes gorgeous palladium prints. I shot several hundred sheets of it in the span of perhaps 2-3 years. Since I was contact printing all of it I couldn't tell you what the grain looks like, but it certainly didn't show up in any appreciable way in any of my prints.

Drew Wiley

Likewise, the flaws I encountered would barely show in a contact print, but were intolerable in even a 16X20 print enlarged from 8x10 film. The emulsion "zits" or craters presented just a spotting headache, though an especially bad one. The long linear fine crack lines, or perhaps directional spool transport scratches, were almost impossible to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Ig Nacio View Post
    Hi,

Thank you : )!!!

Very interesting to read! I didn't know Arista Premium was Tri-X.
    At one time (roughly when they sold Tri-X) they also had Fuji Acros under the Arista label. I think it was Arista Edu, but I am not sure anymore. (Have to look in the freezer.) Anyhow it was 35 mm only (again, if I remember correctly) as was Tri-X too.

I have several 35mm 40+ shot bulk load Arista aka Trix from 25 years ago

But I have real difficulty shooting that many images in one go

I still bulk load 12 shots
    Tin Can