Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your experience with Perceptol and Microphen, compared to ID-11 - Some questions

Re: Your experience with Perceptol and Microphen, compared to ID-11 - Some questions

Hi,

Thank you for your messages : )!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Well, is the point of scanning just to review progress in a preliminary sense, and down the line make actual darkroom prints, or not? The OP is ambiguous about that, and it makes a huge difference. I've had friends who thought they were on the right track after learning how to develop film to look good on a monitor after this or that kind of scan and post-editing, and then later end up pretty disappointed with how the actual prints came out. Reminds me of my earlier years being able to give great color slide shows; but once I wanted to make or have made quality prints from those, I encountered a brick wall. It was another decade before I had the first darkroom space of my own, and could learn to do it right. By in that learning curve, I soon realized that one has to shoot for the print to begin with, and recognize how the paper itself sees film.
    Yes, the negative will be scanned, but it will also be printed with a enlarger at some point.

Thank you, kind regards!

Re: Your experience with Perceptol and Microphen, compared to ID-11 - Some questions

I'm a big fan of perceptol and microphen for various emulsions in several dilutions. Some combos I've tried:

Hp5@320 perceptol+3: very flat, great midtone detail, at least 12 stops of dynamic range. Fine grain, but soft.
    Hp5@1600/3200 microphen stock: excellent push option, high contrast, 7 stops of dynamic range, fat, but pleasing grain. High acutance. Flat contrast curve. Cannot recommend this option enough!
    Fp4@200 microphen+1: very interesting contrast curve, very pleasing for overcast days. Grain is increased, but very sharp. Lower dynamic range, not sure how much.
    Fp4@100 perceptol+3: go to developer for fp4. Very fine grain. It's possible to make grain free enlargements at 11x14 from 35mm. A little soft. Great midtone detail. Flat, but high dynamic range.

I've never used id11, so I can't compare the results to that. I've tried other combos, but nothing to write home about.