Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Show your 3D printed LF photography related thing

Re: Show your 3D printed LF photography related thing

Interesting designs. I love the options of keeping obsolete format cameras going. I recently picked up a 180. I have sandwiched both Instax wide and 1/4 plate film in an old holder, works well. So the question is, are your films holders (not the 4x5 version) designed to fit quarter plate film size? If so I thought it would make a great hand held quarter plate camera.

The Polaroid pack film sized film holders are designed for 4 1/4" x 3 3/8" paper. I'm sure the design could be modified to hold one 1/4 plate with a dark slide.

Quote Originally Posted by richydicky View Post
    Interesting designs. I love the options of keeping obsolete format cameras going. I recently picked up a 180. I have sandwiched both Instax wide and 1/4 plate film in an old holder, works well. So the question is, are your films holders (not the 4x5 version) designed to fit quarter plate film size? If so I thought it would make a great hand held quarter plate camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jimskelton View Post
    The Polaroid pack film sized film holders are designed for 4 1/4" x 3 3/8" paper. I'm sure the design could be modified to hold one 1/4 plate with a dark slide.
    Hi Jim. 1/4 plate is 4 1/4" x 3 1/4" though some old FP4 sheets I have is measured out as 4 1/8 x 3 1/8. A septum I have to hold the film in the holder has rails that make an image opening of just under 3" on the short side. I think your design should fit 1/4 plate film if rails to hold the film are wide enough in the current design.

On Thingiverse I saw that you have a holder design that only requires a dark slide to be made. How does that compare with the one that just has the parts to 3D print the basic holder frame? The link to that on your site results in a 404 not found.

Thanks
    Richard

I don't know anything about plates, but imagine they don't bend. This film holder requires a medium that can bend to get it into the holder. How thick is the plate? Maybe the holder can be designed so the end piece hinges, but then that would invite light leaks. And, the space for the negative is only as thick as a bit more than a piece of photographic paper.

The difference between the 2 holders on thingiverse is the more complete one has the body of the holder printed, which takes quite a bit more filament. The rails build the same holder, but require some mat board, etc. to complete.

Hi Jim. 1/4 plate is 4 1/4" x 3 1/4" though some old FP4 sheets I have is measured out as 4 1/8 x 3 1/8. A septum I have to hold the film in the holder has rails that make an image opening of just under 3" on the short side. I think your design should fit 1/4 plate film if rails to hold the film are wide enough in the current design.

On Thingiverse I saw that you have a holder design that only requires a dark slide to be made. How does that compare with the one that just has the parts to 3D print the basic holder frame? The link to that on your site results in a 404 not found.

Thanks
    Richard

I'm talking about sheet film in quarter plate size, not glass or metal plates. Adox still do this size and Ilford may in their annual special size format run.

Haha, ok, shows you how clued out I am. The holder would need the borders modified to work with 1/4 plate but that certainly wouldn't be hard to do. I just cut down 5x7 film which makes 2 Polaroid sized negatives. A little tricky in the dark, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm talking about sheet film in quarter plate size, not glass or metal plates. Adox still do this size and Ilford may in their annual special size format run.

Made this adapter from Linhof lens board to Linhof lens board with a Packard Ideal 1 3/4 inch shutter in between
    On the pictures with a Red dot Artar 8 1/4 i a barrel mount on a printed threaded lens board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7896.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	227671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7898.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	227672

And you have to tilt your head since the forum rotates portrait oriented picture wrongly
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

I design and printed this glass-less holder for scanning 5x7 in the Epson V700, V750 and V850.
    Focus can be adjusted from 2mm to 6mm which is more than enough. My V700 works best att 4mm height (with emulsion facing up).

Negatives are held surprisingly flat, probably due to that it's held and pressed all the way round by the holder.
    Nylon screws gives a little bit of friction so that the height doesn't slip by accident.

And also made adapters for 4x5 and 9x12 that can be used in the holder with the same focus height (see second picture)

Name:	IMG_8179.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	228890

Name:	IMG_8181.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	228891

Name:	IMG_8182.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	228892

Not as rigid as a metal frame would be so perhaps a little more warping.
    Nothing that bothers me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by lassethomas View Post
    I design and printed this glass-less holder for scanning 5x7 in the Epson V700, V750 and V850.
    Focus can be adjusted from 2mm to 6mm which is more than enough. My V700 works best att 4mm height (with emulsion facing up).

Negatives are held surprisingly flat, probably due to that it's held and pressed all the way round by the holder.
    Nylon screws gives a little bit of friction so that the height doesn't slip by accident.

And also made adapters for 4x5 and 9x12 that can be used in the holder with the same focus height (see second picture)

Name:	IMG_8179.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	228890

Name:	IMG_8181.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	228891

Name:	IMG_8182.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	228892

Not as rigid as a metal frame would be so perhaps a little more warping.
    Nothing that bothers me anyway
    Looks quite nice, and clean print. Are you going to share the STL files at any point?
    Ira Summers

Quote Originally Posted by FredrickSummers View Post
    Looks quite nice, and clean print. Are you going to share the STL files at any point?
    Sure. I will look into it when I get back from my holiday trip in a couple of weeks.