Thread: Any interest in a new Ghostmaster flash fire control for leaf shutters?

Any interest in a new Ghostmaster flash fire control for leaf shutters?

The idea for the Ghostmaster came to me in the early 90's when I was cleaning a Compur shutter and noticed that as the shutter closed at the end of an exposure the flash contacts broke when the shutter blades were still close to wide open. I realized that an electronic flash could be synced at that moment, just as spark plugs were fired by a points and condenser distributor on engines I had grown up working on.

Well, things are never as easy as they may seem at first. Not all leaf shutters are suitable for "closing shutter sync" and all mechanical switch contacts bounce, which can produce "double pops" and other malfunctions. Eventually, I produced and patented the Ghostmaster device. It worked well was quite popular. I guaranteed them for three years and none ever came back. It was not profitable for me to hand-build every unit and no manufactures were interested in the patent, so I let it expire. A few years ago, I sold some parts kits on this site, but I don't know if anyone built a working circuit. I even tried open-sourcing it to some of the foreign manufacturers with whom members here do business.

Recently, I conceived of a way to simplify construction without limiting the Ghostmaster's capabilities. These are triggering strobes at shutter closing, at shutter opening, and featuring two isolated channels which permit strobe sync at both opening and closing. I'll make up a prototype and run it by you all.

Have fun!
    Neal

Re: Any interest in a new Ghostmaster flash fire control for leaf shutters?

I’d be interested! I love experimental flash equipment, got my hands on a hose master light painting system a few years back and would be interested to see how I could potentially combine the two. Let us know the price and availability!

Is there any sort of Smart Phone APP that will work as a shutter tester?

Can one of the more advanced DSLR bodies with video work as a shutter tester?

Can a Flshmeter be abused into working as a shutter tester?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Here is the Ghostmaster patent, now expired which explains construction and operation. When I started producing them, I adjusted the value of certain components and when I offered kits on this forum, I included the latest schematic.
    https://www.freepatentsonline.com/5530320.html

Here is the latest schematic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghostmaster Schematic.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	221863

My simplified design will eliminate the test button, Instant/switch and fuse. It will take the form of a "hub" and employ 1/4' monoplug sync input and output cords, an industry standard. Adapters are widely available to interface with strobes, remote transmitters and receivers and shutter connections.

I would have interest in purchasing one. I reactivated my LFP account for the sole purpose of asking.

Thanks for your interest Ellis. I looked at your work and I'm very impressed. PM sent.