Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Tacoma, Washington

Hello from Tacoma, Washington

Hi! I'm settling in to LF, having (probably) completed my Gear Acquisition Syndrome phase. I've been moving retro with film gear since about 1984, back through Nikon to Pentax, Leica, Rolleiflex etc. I was given a 4x5 rail camera in a huge box with two single coated lenses by a friend, and that launched me.

I love slowing down and handling as much of the process manually in the field as I can. Sadly I still work, so in the interests of time I usually ship out to North Coast Photo Services for developing. I'm primarily shooting Provia 100F and FP4+.

At this point in life, if I get lucky with "The Shot Of A Lifetime", I want it to have the approximately infinite quality that LF offers, and having done so fully hands-on. I'm on the hunt for art quality shots, though I'm sure my work is pretty low level by the standards here.

Anyhow, I would love to meet and shoot with any other PNW / Puget Sound forum members. I'm reasonably flexible for weekend outings. I'm very patient with your work speed. My own shots take me 15 minutes each, just so's you know.

I just set up a website, so you can see where my level of skill is at: www.bradcloven.smugmug.com/ Friendly advice is welcome.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

Re: Hello from Tacoma, Washington

Nice work on your site page, Brad. I focus on the B&W.
    Welcome, and happy hunting.
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Welcome! How's the flooding down there? We've been pretty much devastated up here.

Welcome, Brad.
    Don't kid yourself (about the quality of your work) - the B&W work in your portfolio is as good as anything found here. Kudos.

Paul

Hello Brad! Greetings from down the 5 freeway in Olympia WA. I also enjoyed your SmugMug images! There is so much to photograph in the PNW. Have you been out to the Palouse?

Rick

Les

Welcome to LF forum. I've defected the busy life and am 1/2 way to Portland....could use going to Palouse myself.
    Les

On occasion I noticed there is real life outside the GG/viewfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Welcome! How's the flooding down there? We've been pretty much devastated up here.
    No flooding on the high hills of Tacoma. Sorry to hear what all is going on up there. Hopefully you dodged that last atmospheric river and stayed above high water!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Olson View Post
    Hello Brad! Greetings from down the 5 freeway in Olympia WA. I also enjoyed your SmugMug images! There is so much to photograph in the PNW. Have you been out to the Palouse?

Rick
    I've been through the Palouse, but without my camera, without enough time, or in the wrong season. I definitely need to make a plan and go get some of those shots.

If you're in Oly and need a shooting partner ever, I'd love to get together and head to wherever you're going. Ping me, and we'll make a date.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cloven View Post
    Hi! I'm settling into LF…
    If I lived a little further south in Tacoma, I’d suffer the same as in Seattle, being forever torn between travelling East to the Cascades or West to the Olympics.

It’s the type of suffering that hurts so good for the PNW LFer. ;^)

Look forward to seeing your mountains, beaches, and rain forests here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    If I lived a little further south in Tacoma, I’d suffer the same as in Seattle, being forever torn between travelling East to the Cascades or West to the Olympics.

It’s the type of suffering that hurts so good for the PNW LFer. ;^)

Look forward to seeing your mountains, beaches, and rain forests here.
    Yep.. Tacoma is under appreciated for a lot of things, being close to the Cascades and Western Olympics is high on the list. And the I-90 corridor isn't really that far either because of highway 18. Although I try to stay away from the I-90 corridor as all the hikes have been absolutely swamped with people lately.