Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Weather Photography

Winter Weather Photography

North of the Equator it's getting cooler, with the usual changes in weather bringing with it new visions and the challenges it takes to capture them.
    Foggy nights and days, bare trees, holiday decorations, Winter sports, rain and snow ( regrettably not so much rain and snow in my corner California right now, but plenty of fog) all present different opportunities to make interesting photographs not possible the rest of the year.
    What kinds of shots are you looking forward towards bagging this Winter?

The 'dorff and Ries are a bit too much weight for my wired together sternum to take, but the svelte Speed Graphic and Gowland seem to be calling me to take them out to play
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Foamer

Re: Winter Weather Photography

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    What kinds of shots are you looking forward towards bagging this Winter?

Well, already had one blizzard this month, but still it's not been all that cold. Not all the lakes are frozen over yet. I'm still shooting wet plate and will keep doing that until the temps get below 20 F. At that point it gets more difficult. My winter projects are to start shooting dry plate and film with my new 5x7 Korona stereo camera, and dry plates with a new Watson & Sons half plate stereo camera. I've been wanting to try stereos for a long time now. The other winter photography I do is with my Nikon D850 shooting the local ice races held every year on the frozen lakes. Those continue through March, or until the ice is less than 18 inches thick.

Kent in SD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OTL17346m.jpg  
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I'm looking forward to traveling south to the desert where it's warm and making photos there

I'd like to make some 4x5 photographs during a good snowstorm, but have been deterred by lack of a practical way to protect my lenses. I received a Lee100 Hood last week, which should solve this problem. It's water resistant, and I know that it's used successfully in situations where ocean salt spray is an issue. It should handle New York snow just fine. Photo and spec sheet below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee100 Hoofd Expanded.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	221736

Name:	lee100 hood.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	221737

Coincidentally, an architectural photographer named Steven Brooke uploaded this video to his YouTube channel today. I don't know much about Brooke, except that he teaches at the School of Architecture at the University of Miami and has done work for Architectural Digest. He also has a book about architectural photography, available on his website as an e-book and from Apple Books and Amazon Kindle.

ARCHITECTURAL PHOTOGRAPHY IN THE WINTER MONTHS

This is a screen capture of his summary at the end of the video:

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 7.48.24 PM.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	221743
    Last edited by r.e.; 28-Nov-2021 at 18:44.

Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Coincidentally, an architectural photographer named Steven Brooke uploaded this video to his YouTube channel today. I don't know much about Brooke, except that he teaches at the School of Architecture at the University of Miami and has done work for Architectural Digest. He also has a book about architectural photography, available on his website as an e-book and from Apple Books and Amazon Kindle.

Further on this, I purchased the Apple Books version of Brooke's book on architectural photography. It looks to me like it's a detailed summary of the class that I assume he teaches at the University of Miami. No analogue content; the focus is on digital capture and processing. I think that it's a good overview, with nice attention to architectural rendition historically in fine art and many examples from his own work. In addition to detailed discussion about exterior and interior architectural photography, he has shorter sections on still life and landscape. I have Julius Shulman's Architectural Photography and Norman McGrath's Photographing Buildings Inside and Out. For US$9.99, I think that Brooke's book is quite useful, especially as a handy reference, and well worth the price.
    Last edited by r.e.; 29-Nov-2021 at 10:04.

One problem with winter photography is the wind. Too many winter jackets, coats, hats and gloves are not wind proof.
    Standing on open ice or in snow and ice with your heat getting sucked away makes for miserable times.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    One problem with winter photography is the wind. Too many winter jackets, coats, hats and gloves are not wind proof.
    Standing on open ice or in snow and ice with your heat getting sucked away makes for miserable times.

That's why I wear down filled mountaineering clothing.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

While I like to remain open to good surprises...there are certain "bucket list" images which have somehow continued to escape me from year to year...and it sure would be great if I could somehow empty that bucket (or at least lighten its load) before I actually have to kick it! (lest I be limping away into eternity)

At any rate...one of these is finding some areas of clear ice, within which are various sinewy patterns running in parallel with each other against an otherwise dark/black background. It seems like every winter I take note of various bodies of water in anticipation of which of these might bear some frozen fruit...only to return and find these covered with snow! AARRGGHH!!

Other icy-image ideas are those icicles that form when brook water recedes underneath shelves of ice - particularly when the bottoms of those icicles feature those wonderful transparent globular clumps. I will typically see these when I'm running an errand in my car - only to discover that they've either melted away or covered up by additional snowfall upon my return (note to self to always have camera in car!).

Oh...and one that's been getting away from me forever, but not for my lack of trying...is just after a snowstorm when the trees are just covered, then a wind comes up and the snow begins to blow around...an image which could capture this chaos. Or maybe the storm clears and all gets quiet as the sun reappears, then a whisper of air loosens a treed snow-clump, which then whooshes downward to be beautifully back-lit.

Usually, I'll see stuff like this happening outside my window, run and get my gear, set it up outside in anticipation, and then wait...and wait...and wait...and freeze! But...maybe this year?

Once all the maples, alders, berries, etc lose their leaves under the redwoods, the scenes open up wonderfully in the winter -- best time to photograph in the redwoods other than the past two months when all those leaves are turning yellow.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China