Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Wish They Would Make . . .

I Wish They Would Make . . .

I have a Pelican 1510 roll around hard case. At times it has been configured for my 4x5 gear. I like that it is sturdy and rolls around, but like all camera bags, it is a pain to bend over and get stuff out of it. Squatting hurts too.

There are aftermarket clip-on harnesses to carry it like a backpack. Some are minimalist rigs. Some are really nice, serious backer's set ps. But you still have to lay it down for access.

I wish someone would make a set of clip-on legs that retracted or folded up when not in use. Something that would bring it up to waist height or so. I am imagining PVC or Aluminum tubes that auto erect with bungie cord as tent poles or fold up canes do.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: I Wish They Would Make . . .

I’ve seen bags with similar fold out legs, but I can’t remember where. I have more titanium than bone in my knees, and I can’t kneel, so I have avoided backpacks and focused on shoulder bags so I could keep the bag and contents at a level that I could reach rather than putting it on the ground. Something like your idea would potentially make backpacks usable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I have a Pelican 1510 roll around hard case. At times it has been configured for my 4x5 gear. I like that it is sturdy and rolls around, but like all camera bags, it is a pain to bend over and get stuff out of it. Squatting hurts too.

There are aftermarket clip-on harnesses to carry it like a backpack. Some are minimalist rigs. Some are really nice, serious backer's set ps. But you still have to lay it down for access.

I wish someone would make a set of clip-on legs that retracted or folded up when not in use. Something that would bring it up to waist height or so. I am imagining PVC or Aluminum tubes that auto erect with bungie cord as tent poles or fold up canes do.
    You could try a roll-up aluminum camping table.

I had kind of the same idea and tried to adapt and use a 1960s movie projector stand, one with trapezoidal angled out adjustable legs. Original top metal platform was too small for my Pelican 1600 (also a bit heavy), so I replaced it with a larger and lighter wooden platform. Theoretically I thought it should have all worked, but the whole thing was too top heavy in the field which affected its stability. Plus it became a tad bit too bulky to hike with, even with the legs unscrewed. I could handle hiking with the Pelican 1600 and tripod; but when you added in having to carry the platform stand also, hiking in more than a fraction of a mile just was just not pleasurable. I now carry a Gardening Knee Pad attached to the Pelican with Velcro. With it kneeling on the grown became a lot easier and way more comfortable..

https://www.bigagnes.com/Woodchuck-C..._19?quantity=1

17" tall. There is one that is 24" tall. Two lb and 4 lb respectively. They looks interesting...never used on.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

A little shorter than the BA, but interesting at 2 lbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFEwqFcAQd8

There are many roll-up aluminum camping tables, ranging in height and size. Most roll up to a reasonable size and don't weigh much. A google search will bring them up, or just go to an REI--there should be a few there.

Maybe the legs from Ambulance stretchers, the type used to get it to the height to do straight into an ambulance from ground level?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Rig a hook on your tripod and hang your pack from that at a height that is easy to work from. Easier to get to your gear and it weights the tripod making it more stable.

On the other hand, when I work in cities, I work from a combination backpack/rolling carry-on (basically a smallish backpack with telescoping handle and wheels). I stands on the ground and I get to practice my deep-knee bends getting to my gear. It helps keep me in shape.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Rig a hook on your tripod and hang your pack from that at a height that is easy to work from. Easier to get to your gear and it weights the tripod making it more stable.

On the other hand, when I work in cities, I work from a combination backpack/rolling carry-on (basically a smallish backpack with telescoping handle and wheels). I stands on the ground and I get to practice my deep-knee bends getting to my gear. It helps keep me in shape.

Best,

Doremus
    It will be tough for the OP to hang a Pelican hard case from a hook on a tripod, unless he's hauling around something pretty substantial. Plus the way the Pelican opens, everything will need to be secured or it will fall out when the case is opened. Oh, and bending over to access the gear is the whole reason for his post.