Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Wish They Would Make . . .

(Shrek)

Re: I Wish They Would Make . . .

Faced with similar difficulties my 'solution' for my 8x10 kit was a rolling tool box that is sturdy enough for me to sit on, and a 2nd tray-type box that attaches to the top of the 1st. The 1st has the camera, film holders, darkcloth etc, the tray has lenses. So I can roll up, put the tray on the ground, set up the camera and tripod, then sit on the toolbox if I need to rummage through the lens tray, or rest my legs and back, or I can even shoot from a sitting position if the perspective warrants it. Or I can put the tray back onto the box once I have set up the camera.

The motivation was more not having to carry 50 lbs of camera gear on my back, and having something to sit on, but this was the only affordable solution I was able to find. I considered the folding rolling shopping cart things I see people walking to the grocery store with, but with that I would have to pack a stool as well, and I would then have several camera bags and the like haphazardly piled around me.

Not sure of the exact name, but those folding spectator chairs (with the arm rests & beer can holder)... They fold into a little tube pouch, and will raise a case to at least sitting level... And can easily be carried with a tripod... They cost about $15 new at a sporting goods store, and if you get tired, you can place case on the ground and rest yourself in the chair... ;-)

Steve K

Thanks to all.

All good ideas.

I am looking for something that is attached to or becomes part of the csmer bsg or hard cse. A separate item just adds complexity to the process of transporting and setting up.

My inspirtion comes from seeing painter's supplu cases that have a fold up eisel and fold out legs.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Supply-Co...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Thanks to all.

All good ideas.

I am looking for something that is attached to or becomes part of the csmer bsg or hard cse. A separate item just adds complexity to the process of transporting and setting up.

My inspirtion comes from seeing painter's supplu cases that have a fold up eisel and fold out legs.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Supply-Co...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    You could bolt the roll-up camping table top to your case, the legs should just fold up into it.

...or maybe some type of "rickshaw" arrangement - two long(ish) poles leading to a waist harness in front, and bicycle wheels in back...with photo gear balanced nicely over the wheels. The bicycle wheels...while light in weight, are of large enough diameter to allow for good access to gear with only minimal stooping, perhaps aided further with some kind of parallelogram lift arrangement which would be cranked up after arriving at a location. Hmmm...or maybe the camera itself could be mounted on a lift mechanism incorporating a tripod head?

You could use one of those folding (aluminium or wood) suitcase racks that you see in every hotel room. They are light and really cheap....you can find them new for $25 at Home Depot. Bungie it to the Pelican...voila!
    Or better yet, get a folding camp chair. The case can straddle it when setting up, and you can use it as a chair when waiting for the light.
    Edited to add: I see that LabRat beat me to the chair idea.

A photo backpack/tripod combo...where the camera is at the ready - mounted to rest behind one's head at head-level, and the tripod legs comprise the pack frame. When a location is reached, the photographer would simply need to establish a point of view (head/eyes at camera position), then reach to each side to release two slide-locks for two of the tripod legs which would slide downwards to meet the earth, with the top tube sections still holding the backpack. The photographer would then slide out of the shoulder harness, turn around and lower the third leg, which would be tucked away in the middle when not in use. Bear in mind that the two front (outside) legs would be canted outward by design, and the middle (third) leg would be manually canted out to the front to establish stability. At this time the camera position would approximate the original point of view established previously, and the backpack itself, with all necessary gear (film, holders, lenses, etc.) would now be conveniently located, basically hanging below the camera (providing extra stability) with zippered compartments easily accessible. Now tell me...does this sound cool or what?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    A photo backpack/tripod combo...where the camera is at the ready - mounted to rest behind one's head at head-level, and the tripod legs comprise the pack frame. When a location is reached, the photographer would simply need to establish a point of view (head/eyes at camera position), then reach to each side to release two slide-locks for two of the tripod legs which would slide downwards to meet the earth, with the top tube sections still holding the backpack. The photographer would then slide out of the shoulder harness, turn around and lower the third leg, which would be tucked away in the middle when not in use. Bear in mind that the two front (outside) legs would be canted outward by design, and the middle (third) leg would be manually canted out to the front to establish stability. At this time the camera position would approximate the original point of view established previously, and the backpack itself, with all necessary gear (film, holders, lenses, etc.) would now be conveniently located, basically hanging below the camera (providing extra stability) with zippered compartments easily accessible. Now tell me...does this sound cool or what?
    A camera wrap with a center hole for the tripod would at least have your camera ready yet still somewhat protect it while mounted to tripod attached to your pack. Think of a large crown royal bag with the draw strings cinched around the tripod head. I could see it with 4x5 but not for something larger. Or a big holster that mounts to your belt on one side. In theory you could have a larger rectangular mounting pod the size of a backpack where the legs extend. All your lenses and other periphery items would then fit in ICU cases below the camera mount inside the pack with front mounted zippers for access. The camera would have a zippered rectangular cover.

I want a digital viewing back attachment that transmits to my phone. Sometimes I just take a shot under the dark cloth if I can't see the edges well. wide angle on 5x12 with a fresnel back is not always easy to compose with.

for top loader packs it would be nice if they had a feature like a collapsible A frame to lean against so they don't topple over.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    A camera wrap with a center hole for the tripod would at least have your camera ready yet still somewhat protect it while mounted to tripod attached to your pack. Think of a large crown royal bag with the draw strings cinched around the tripod head. I could see it with 4x5 but not for something larger. Or a big holster that mounts to your belt on one side. In theory you could have a larger rectangular mounting pod the size of a backpack where the legs extend. All your lenses and other periphery items would then fit in ICU cases below the camera mount inside the pack with front mounted zippers for access. The camera would have a zippered rectangular cover.

I want a digital viewing back attachment that transmits to my phone. Sometimes I just take a shot under the dark cloth if I can't see the edges well. wide angle on 5x12 with a fresnel back is not always easy to compose with.

for top loader packs it would be nice if they had a feature like a collapsible A frame to lean against so they don't topple over.
    My Leica M-3 has something like that, but it is made from really nice leather.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    ...or maybe some type of "rickshaw" arrangement - two long(ish) poles leading to a waist harness in front, and bicycle wheels in back...with photo gear balanced nicely over the wheels. The bicycle wheels...while light in weight, are of large enough diameter to allow for good access to gear with only minimal stooping, perhaps aided further with some kind of parallelogram lift arrangement which would be cranked up after arriving at a location. Hmmm...or maybe the camera itself could be mounted on a lift mechanism incorporating a tripod head?
    This concept is one of my "wish-they-would-make" thoughts too. Home shop projects based on a golf bag pull cart have been shown here in the past. I do think there is a niche for a camera bag mounting kit to modify a golf pull cart.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com