Thread: What do I need to do to use a R.O.&C. Co Telephoto Cycle Poco D ?

Lightbulb What do I need to do to use a R.O.&C. Co Telephoto Cycle Poco D ?

I recently inherited a R.O.&C. Co Telephoto Cycle Poco D. It seems to be in pretty good condition, but I am brand new to large format / old cameras. I've tried to do some research, but I can't find much information about this particular model.

I have a few questions I'm hoping this forum can help me with

1. I do not have any plate or film holders. The ground glass is a little bit off from 5x7, but that appears to be the closest measurement I can find for any plate holders. I can't find any plate or film harders specific to this model either. Is it okay to buy one from another model? Will it fit? I'm thinking something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/35299465362...MakeTrack=true But I think I'd also need film inserts if I want to use film?

2. Do I need to think about replacing the ground glass? It looks like there are some oily (maybe?) splotches on it, and I'm assuming that will impact my shots.

3. Is there any other cleaning or maintenance I should do? The shutter appears to work well. The bellow seems to be light tight.

4. Worth buying a bulb or should I just trigger with my finger for the time being?

Any other tips are much appreciated! Looking forward to experimenting with this

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211125_004155084.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	221622

Foamer

Re: What do I need to do to use a R.O.&C. Co Telephoto Cycle Poco D ?

This probably takes a standard 5x7 holder. If so, you are in luck. You will also need an incident light meter and a reasonably sturdy tripod. And, a focus magnifier (called a "loupe"). For a dark cloth (to hold over the back so you can see to focus) I just use a jacket. All of this can be found used without much effort. I would just trigger it with your finger for now. Bulbs & hose are available on ebay along with everything else.

I have a similar camera, a 1905 Century Camera in 4x5.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    This probably takes a standard 5x7 holder.
    Thank you for the information! This is very helpful. I was looking at something like this to try, but I think I need film inserts to make it work with film then. Is that correct?

I have a jacket (haha), a loupe, and a tripod. So just need to figure out the film holder / film piece and pick up an incident light meter.

Thanks, again!

It is in nice condition!
    Just in case you haven’t found it, here is a catalogue entry for your camera. It was made over a decade, so the range of model sizes may have changed from year to year.
    http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/cata...3pocolp799.htm
    These are definitely lightweight cameras so they do require a little more care in operation than field cameras from the same period.
    Plate holders were not standardized at this time, but POCO and PREMO (two rivals in Rochester!) impressed the wood and the synthetic dark slides with the company name and logo - just as KODAK Eastmann were doing at the same time.
    As far as I recall POCO & PREMO plate holders do not fit each other’s cameras. The light trap grove/ridge are reversed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 533FE4A3-7115-4539-AF3E-5A8EE2DEBDDA.jpg   ECA0AB9C-D825-41A5-A5F6-3786795BE5A2.jpg  

(Shrek)

Quote Originally Posted by leahlou View Post
    2. Do I need to think about replacing the ground glass? It looks like there are some oily (maybe?) splotches on it, and I'm assuming that will impact my shots.
    No. If you look at what happens when you insert a film holder, it goes between the glass and the camera, the glass is not in the path of the photograph. It is there only to help you compose and focus. You may be able to clean it, but test on a small bit in the corner first. Some 'ground glass' is actually coated with a waxy substance, and if you try to clean it the coating comes off, leaving you with a useless clear glass. But most are ground or etched, so you can clean with regular glass cleaner. Again, the lines (if any) may come off using cleaner, so test those too before wiping the whole thing down.

Foamer

What you are thinking of are called sheaths, not inserts. If your holders are for dry plates, you will need to either find some 5x7 film sheaths on ebay etc. or simply stick something about the same width behind the film. I use thin black foam core.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

It would be wise to check that the camera is the 5x7” model, as both the 1/2 plate version (if there was one!) and the full plate one (which certainly exists) are not easily modified to 5x7” holders.
    I note you write ”The GG is a little bit off from 5x7”….. which suggested it could be a 1/2 plate version.