Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cameras with geared swing movement

Drew Wiley

Re: Cameras with geared swing movement

I just pack the Sinar F's or Norma ready to go - no need to fold anything, just extend the bellows and go from there. It forms a T, with the camera per se downward in the cushioned top part of the external frame pack, and my extra-long rail solidly resting across the top. I keep the compendium in place, and can even keep any focal length of lens already in place if I wish. What folder can do that? Even two poly boxes of 6 film holders each can nest, one box on each side of the inverted camera. I don't ordinarily carry that much film anymore, but have done so many times. And I'm speaking from the viewpoint of a long lens addict needing a lot of rail, who therefore is far more likely to remove a section of the rail for an occasional wide-angle shot than add one. A short lens kit would therefore be even more compact.

It all fits, plus, at least in my teenage days of my 40's and 50's, with up to two weeks of serious backpacking and mountain gear and supplies. Nowadays, if I want to do that kind of thing, it's more likely I will choose my little Ebony folder and a couple of 6X9 roll film backs instead. But for over three decades, I proved to myself that Sinar gear can be quite portable if you think things out. I've been some pretty rugged and remote places with it, hundreds of trips in fact. Sinar P's components - nope - that never leaves the lab/studio.

Ponder why SO many photographers used Sinar back in the day when 4x5 color transparency sheet film images were the primary means to printed color media?

Sinar is not just a view camera, it is a imaging system that is modular, available and can be built up as needed to meet the image making demands driven by lens and image making situations. Few other view camera systems are any where near as available, modular, precision-accurate, durable and all those qualities that make a view camera much a non-issue.

Take the time to read this previous discussion:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ar-Norma-(4x5)

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    That makes a lot of sense!

To me it's not style or weight that is concerning (at 3+ kg that's still quite OK actually), it's more bulkiness/volume that Sinar F2 is taking. Though maybe it is not that bad, just needs larger backpack.

One advantage of Sinar gear seems to be spare parts availability and 2d hand market cost. In fact the cost of used Sinar F2 is so (relatively) low that I could give it a try almost without any risk compared to Arca or Toyo.

Horseman Studio cameras have geared everything except swing and tilt

I wonder why

Both can be progressively dampened and locked

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Ponder why SO many photographers used Sinar back in the day when 4x5 color transparency sheet film images were the primary means to printed color media?

Sinar is not just a view camera, it is a imaging system that is modular, available and can be built up as needed to meet the image making demands driven by lens and image making situations. Few other view camera systems are any where near as available, modular, precision-accurate, durable and all those qualities that make a view camera much a non-issue.

Bernice
    Good part of the reason is because EPOI and then Sinar Bron were very free in long time demo loans to studios. I was one of those EPOI that did some of these.
    The EPOI sales manager for Sinar was also very free with giving free lenses with every camera sale that he was involved with. I was once in the EPOI stock room and watched him add an off the invoice 300mm Symmar to an order that he picked and packed.
    He also gave free lamp heads with every Bron system he sold, also off invoice.

Arca-Swiss

The Arca-Swiss F-Line Metric, and the F-Line Classic, have a separate swing lock. The Arca-Swiss Monolith, has geared swing, and actually all movements are geared on the Monolith.

The F-Line cameras are not floppy in movement so very efficient and precise.
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

Bernice
    Thank you, very interesting insights indeed.

I think the overriding "secret to success" for any view camera is the ability to operate all controls by feel... That once you are under the darkcloth and eyes have adjusted, that you know exactly where and what the cameras controls are, and how they operate... With the swing, many cameras standard bearers fit together zeroed until unlocked and you can feel when they start pivoting with your fingers... Other controls are in a logical intuitive place easily reached, and can easily be re-zeroed by touch... And you can easily watch the actions of the movements on the GG as you can flick them around to see their effect...

I have used some cameras where the controls are there, but harder to test movements a little at a time, but one can learn that camera, and with previous camera movement experience, one can know what movement is needed and apply it... But there are cameras that were so well designed that it is so easy to just loosen a knob or two, wiggle the movement a little, and there is the desired effect!!!

Some top cameras are a little over-engineered with many add-on features that can complicate your set-up, but outdoor shooting often is a spur-of-the-moment thing, and is nice when the camera does what it does well with little prodding/futzing on your part... ;

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I think the overriding "secret to success" for any view camera is the ability to operate all controls by feel...
    Agreed. My 4x5 is a rail camera that is about as far from a Sinar as a VW Bug is from a Porsche. But if they both get you to where you need to be, the difference is reduced to personal preferences...which is more expensive, which is more finely engineered, which has more doodads, which gives one the bigger ego boost, or which one packs easier. Then it is a matter of learning to handle the tool properly and have it respond to one's needs, in my case via the GG.

My 5x7 has geared rear swing, but as an 110+ year old Eastman View No.2, it probably will not fit the OP's specs!

Gowland PocketView, 150mm/5.6 Caltar IIN, Kodak Royal Pan, red filter, f64 for 10 seconds, 16x20 silver gelatin print
    Tolaga Bay Wharf, New Zealand, 1 December 1986
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tolaga bay Wharf.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    . . . To me it's not style or weight that is concerning (at 3+ kg that's still quite OK actually), it's more bulkiness/volume that Sinar F2 is taking.
    With a simple customization too a Sinar six inch extension, Sinars can fit easily into a backpack . . .

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...camera.172997/

Regarding independent locks for swing and shift, Sinar made (at least some) F2 front standards that have these independent locks.

The only application I can think of, where one might want geared tilt or swing, are when only adjustments are needed.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 26-Nov-2021 at 03:34.

But I think geared T/S movements would be most useful on a copy stand mounted camera doing extreme close-ups of small objects that are irregular in shape and the tiny DOF is helped with movements to get the most out of it...

Small items on table top are a another subject geared might help where one has time and bright modeling lights on subject, but for typical outdoor work, geared would slow down the process, as geared movements move slightly slowly and maybe too little at a time for larger more distant objects and views...

Best approach to any movement is to use as little as possible, and keep effect as natural as to be invisible as possible...

Steve K