Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameras with geared swing movement

Re: Cameras with geared swing movement

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Yup. I went through a phase where I was obsessed with alignment and accurately zeroed detents. But first you have to be sure you are truly zeroed when in the detents (not the case with most cameras, at least out of the box. And then as you note if the detents are “deep” you can have a hard time setting very small movements. I sometimes have this problem with one of my cameras. Luckily swings and tilts are the exception rather than the norm in the kind of photos I take.
    Since rear swing is for perspective control, when I need it I realize that usually it's not a tiny movement. For front tilt/swing though little movements are more common. Chamonix F2 has front tilt detent and somehow I never had issues to fine-tune the movement. It also has rear asymmetric tilt with detent and that works decently too. Though I see your point, indeed detent may not necessarily be perfect if absolutely tinies movement is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Watch out for stripped gears in the Toyo.

Thanks. Do those gears tend to wear out to the extent that external rim get broken off?

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    But I think you have chosen the wrong Chamonix
    Haha, thanks for pointing that out. Maybe. Though 45N-2 has one knob for both front rise and tilt, which would likely be driving me nuts - possibly more than rear swing fiddling

I’ve not personally owned a VX125 so it is second hand info, but from a highly experienced/reputable photographer I reached out to for opinion when I was looking into changing cameras. He had to have his repaired twice for stripped gears. Just something to be aware of, especially if you buy one used.

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    Thanks. Do those gears tend to wear out to the extent that external rim get broken off?

Both Toyo VX and Arca Swiss look good until one tries to find required add-ons and discover their cost -vs- capability is not good.

Look deep into this before considering either Toyo or Arca Swiss.

Again, camera MUST support the needs of the lens and all related to achieve the image goals.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    Both Toyo VX125 and Arca Swiss F suggested here seem like fine alternatives. Even though swings are manual, they seem to be stable and usable. Weight and bulk are certainly in limits (especially Arca newer 141mm frame format model looks attractive). The only drawback is required extra $$$, though VX125 seem to be more affordable and common on second-hand market. Sounds like time to start accumulating the budget and then eventually decide...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post

This is the reality of light weight field folders and their innate trade-offs to achieve compact, light weight and foldable. IMO, for the majority of outdoor landscape images made at some what infinity focus and often never demanding on camera movements with the need for back packing lightweight, compact portability this camera could be near ideal. Press this same camera into image goals of combined camera movements with the need for precision/accuracy/repeatability and all those non outdoor landscape image goal needs, this same camera is not ideal at all.
    Excellent point, well said. I am going to keep rereading this every time I get frustrated with the camera at hand.

Rear standard Sinar P/P2, front - F/F2. Quite a load, no style? Right. But on location you are set.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaidotas View Post
    Rear standard Sinar P/P2, front - F/F2. Quite a load, no style? Right. But on location you are set.
    That makes a lot of sense!

To me it's not style or weight that is concerning (at 3+ kg that's still quite OK actually), it's more bulkiness/volume that Sinar F2 is taking. Though maybe it is not that bad, just needs larger backpack.

One advantage of Sinar gear seems to be spare parts availability and 2d hand market cost. In fact the cost of used Sinar F2 is so (relatively) low that I could give it a try almost without any risk compared to Arca or Toyo.

if bulkiness is a concern, the Linhof Technikardan is a great option. Its not a system camera like the AS or the Sinar, but it folds up to the size of a calculus textbook, and opens up to a monorail that can stretch almost to 500mm. Also, as has been discussed, its not geared except on rear focus, but each adjustment has its own lock and a single lock (unlike a lot of folders that have two knobs for each adjustment.) New it is quite expensive, used its less so, but its still not cheap, but after going through a number of cameras, I've decided its the perfect one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
    if bulkiness is a concern, the Linhof Technikardan is a great option. Its not a system camera like the AS or the Sinar, but it folds up to the size of a calculus textbook, and opens up to a monorail that can stretch almost to 500mm. Also, as has been discussed, its not geared except on rear focus, but each adjustment has its own lock and a single lock (unlike a lot of folders that have two knobs for each adjustment.) New it is quite expensive, used its less so, but its still not cheap, but after going through a number of cameras, I've decided its the perfect one for me.
    Not to forget that the movements are silky smooth, without lubricants, each movement has separate locks and tilts, on the S version, has a removable detent.