Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cameras with geared swing movement

Cameras with geared swing movement

I am a happy user of Chamonix F2, however, in architecture genre both front and possibly even more so rear swings are important. Rear swing on F2 is awkward. It requires two hands and is kind of unstable as once locks are released rear standard moves not only around vertical axis, but also slides freely in forward and backward direction. It’s not that it’s unusable, but I feel I would appreciate more precise, less fiddly solution.

Are there any cameras out there that are not in heavy monorails league but have geared swing movements? I was thinking of Arca Swiss F-line as “wet dream” sort of option, but it appears to have manual swing control too.

Thank you.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: Cameras with geared swing movement

The swing of Toyo VX125 is not geared but it surely is easy to use and does not interfere with the geared shift.

Quote Originally Posted by helios View Post
    I am a happy user of Chamonix F2, however, in architecture genre both front and possibly even more so rear swings are important. Rear swing on F2 is awkward. It requires two hands and is kind of unstable as once locks are released rear standard moves not only around vertical axis, but also slides freely in forward and backward direction. It’s not that it’s unusable, but I feel I would appreciate more precise, less fiddly solution.

Are there any cameras out there that are not in heavy monorails league but have geared swing movements? I was thinking of Arca Swiss F-line as “wet dream” sort of option, but it appears to have manual swing control too.

Thank you.
    No, more gearing man’s more weight.
    A LInhof TK 45S will do everything you want, and then more, but with no geared movements othe then focus.

Some Wista models have micro-swing on the rear, but they are limited in their use as architectural cameras.
    I'm afraid Bob's right: more gears is more weight.

On the Chamonix F2, looks like the two lock down knobs are loosened allowing swing of camera's rear frame ?
    https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45f2

How might controlling the swing movement relative to the center of the rear frame be achieved? Seems loosening both lock knobs
    allows the rear frame to slide forwards-backwards in a non-controlled manner causing difficulty achieving precise centered rear swing movement.

This the problem?
    What is the lens focal length being used with rear swing?

Not convinced geared movements are the answer, and monorail cameras are NOT that much heavier than light weight field folders. As previously discussed and mentioned many times before, camera choice is a LOT more complex than what it is current view camera fashion.

Bernice

I'm not crazy about geared swings/tilts... I like to be able to flick them in/out to see the effect I'm getting... In the studio or field alike...

Steve K

I’ve never felt the need of geared swing movements by using both F-line classic and metric.
    Both versions have the swing axis on the center of the frame so it’s very easy to swing and lock without any stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    On the Chamonix F2, looks like the two lock down knobs are loosened allowing swing of camera's rear frame ?
    https://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras/45f2

How might controlling the swing movement relative to the center of the rear frame be achieved? Seems loosening both lock knobs
    allows the rear frame to slide forwards-backwards in a non-controlled manner causing difficulty achieving precise centered rear swing movement.

This the problem?
    What is the lens focal length being used with rear swing?

Not convinced geared movements are the answer, and monorail cameras are NOT that much heavier than light weight field folders. As previously discussed and mentioned many times before, camera choice is a LOT more complex than what it is current view camera fashion.

Bernice
    Yes, that is precisely the problem - loosening both knobs allows too much freedom of rear standard movement. In a way it does allow rotation around the center of rear frame because both knobs are locked in slides in a way that no horizontal shift is possible. But that forward-backward movement freedom is just awkward. I kind of got used to it and developed some technique on handling it, so as I said it’s not like it’s not usable, just too loose and fiddly. Also realigning the rear standard back to zero position is awkward too, but that’s minor thing.

It’s similar on front swing where there is only one knob, loosening it allows combination of swing and shift movements.

It is largely the same problem as with rise/tilt issue on Chamonix F1 which was improved on F2 by adding dedicated knobs for those movements.

I am using and noticing this problem with any lens whenever swing is needed, but mostly using 90mm, 110mm and 180mm for architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by mhayashi View Post
    I’ve never felt the need of geared swing movements by using both F-line classic and metric.
    Both versions have the swing axis on the center of the frame so it’s very easy to swing and lock without any stress.
    Thanks, that is good to know. Does it also have zero position detent?

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    The swing of Toyo VX125 is not geared but it surely is easy to use and does not interfere with the geared shift.
    Thank you, will check it out.