Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tele-Xenar 5.5/500 on a Linhof 5x7

Re: Tele-Xenar 5.5/500 on a Linhof 5x7

Bernice, I agree

I experiment, as experts were not forthright in my past

There is a member here who uses only the back half of the 360 for very good portraits

Also a personal IRL friend, I trust

Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

500mm Schneider Tele Xenar on Makiflex Standard by Nokton48, on Flickr

Amazingly this focuses to infinity when attached to the Plaubel Peco Jr Tubus. A friend in England purchased the tubus for me and then shipped it to me. It's kind of rare I think.

This lens appears tack crisp, and just a bit lower in contrast, in the viewfinder of the Makiflex. I like how it looks. I could probably hand hold it at 1/500 (maybe). This is cool and I'm glad I grabbed it. Sometimes the 360mm Tele-Xenar just does not have enough telephoto pull for me.

And I will be putting it on my 5x7 Norma as well
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 3-Dec-2021 at 14:08.

― Mark Twain

500mm TeleXenar vs 350 PlanarS by Nokton48, on Flickr

My present favored long lens for 6x6 is the 350mm f5.6 Tele-Planar on the EL/M. I hand hold this outside even at outdoor rock concerts. Above is the 9x9cm/4x5 Plaubel Makiflex Automatic with the 500mm f5.5 Tele Xenar. This camera has a patented braking system for vibration free release. Previous to this longest lens available was the 360mm f5.5 which I have in Auto Iris Maki mount. The 360mm has also been hand holdable with this camera. . I can shoot 4x5/9x12 sheet film (have both) as well as 6.5x9 Plaubel Makina backs or anything Graphic mount.

The Makiflex needs a solid tripod, The cable release is modified Sinar Norma, with an adapter a machinist friend made for me.

The 500mm on the camera is focused on infinity and the lens focuses quite close with this set of Wista tubes stacked together.

― Mark Twain

500 Tele Xenar on 5x7 13x18 Sinar Norma by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I have neatly attached the flange for the 500mm to a Norma board. Needs a bit of flat black paint to dull the bolts and screws on the back of the board, and it's ready to go. Ran out of flat black Krylon, my local Lowes is out

I bought this new to me 500mm f5.5 Schneider Tele-Xenar specifically to use on my 13x18cm 5x7in Sinar Norma. This is heavy but can be transported out in the field. Here it is focused on about an 8x10 inch area (so up close), my plan is to test it with black background and some fresh orchids. To my eye on the GG it looks pretty sharp although soon we will see with film.

― Mark Twain

I was just re-reading this and looking at the photo of the shutter something occurred to me. The threaded "nipple" you point out may be able to fire either with a cable release or an air hose and bulb. Somewhere around here I have a shutter with the nipple and I tried both ways of tripping it and they both worked. I'll rummage around and see if I can find it.

Air hoses work wonderfully if you want to stand 10 or 20 or more feet from the camera.
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 17-Dec-2021 at 15:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I was just re-reading this and looking at the photo of the shutter something occurred to me. The threaded "nipple" you point out may be able to fire either with a cable release or an air hose and bulb. Somewhere around here I have a shutter with the nipple and I tried both ways of tripping it and they both worked. I'll rummage around and see if I can find it.

Air hoses work wonderfully if you want to stand to or 20 or more feet from the camera.
    Hi Jim

Hello jim
    Thank you for the hint
    NormaN

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    500mm Schneider Tele Xenar on Makiflex Standard by Nokton48, on Flickr

Amazingly this focuses to infinity when attached to the Plaubel Peco Jr Tubus. A friend in England purchased the tubus for me and then shipped it to me. It's kind of rare I think.

This lens appears tack crisp, and just a bit lower in contrast, in the viewfinder of the Makiflex. I like how it looks. I could probably hand hold it at 1/500 (maybe). This is cool and I'm glad I grabbed it. Sometimes the 360mm Tele-Xenar just does not have enough telephoto pull for me.

And I will be putting it on my 5x7 Norma as well
    Hi Daniel

Interesting tubus on your plaubel.
    The previous owner of my Tele-Xenar built his own construction so that the lens at infinity remains in the standard position with an infinity stop at the end.
    Have you ever seen such a tube for a Linhof 5x7? The Distance needed is about 35mm....

NormaN

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8165_2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	222509Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8167_2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	222510

Hi NormaN,

I am going to make something up more permanent for Plaubel than tubus and lens held together with blue painters tape. LOL It works.

Nope I have never seen this "extension board" before. Looks very solid and professionally made to me. Have you tried any other test photographs yet? I am glad I pulled the trigger on this one. I am a Tele-Xenar fan. The 500mm does not come along often

Your setup sounds quite useful with the lens set for infinity on the bed scale. Good Luck with it

― Mark Twain

BTW, is it possible to mount a 5.5/500 Tele Xenar in a modern shutter?
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/