Thread: Omega D2 what lens/lens board/cone combination.

Omega D2 what lens/lens board/cone combination.

I am restoring a D2 enlarger, I have a selection of lenses and lens cones. What lens goes with each cone for: 35mm,6x6,6x7,6x9 and 4x5 ? Any tips or modification about this enlarger would also be appreciated.Thank you in advance.

Re: Omega D2 what lens/lens board/cone combination.

Hello Mr. Norm,

If you're printing from Minox negatives, you'll be needing a 25mm or 28mm lens or for 35mm half frame, a 35mm lens. All require a recessed lens board.

From 35mm to 6x9cm you'll be wanting the flat lens board and a 50mm to 105mm lens. I've been using a Minolta E-Rokkor f4.5 75mm for both 35mm and 6x6cm. It's old and it's excellent.

There's a mid-sized cone (about 2½" from memory) for a 5"x4" film using a 135mm lens but, while I have a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 135mm, I don't have that lens cone.

Unfortunately, I'm four years behind with the digitisation of my notes (coinciding with the arrival of this enlarger), so I'm unsure if I've even used this lens yet.

Lastly, also for 5x4 negatives, there's a 4½" cone for 150mm Lenses which is what I've been using for this format.

I hope that helps and that I haven't buried the information in too much blather (for once!).

I forgot to ask, do you have the condensers?
    Assuming you do, my tip is DON'T forget to pop it into the correct slot!
    I was experimenting a while ago with a homemade negative carrier which would project 3 rows of 3 35mm negatives (à la Rheinhold Schable's invention). I spent so long and too much paper aligning the negatives, cutting away more of the windows and, of course, neglecting to remove the condenser as required for a 5"x4" negative carrier/150mm lens!
    It wasn't until my next printing session that I realised why I was only getting a lovely, vignetted circle of the middle frames in my DIY carrier!

For using a 105mm enlarging lens for 6x6, I made a cone out of a 3” PVC pipe adapter, covered in black flocking in the inside, screwed to a flat piece of 1/8” plywood. That was before ebay, and sources for weird stuff without having to buy it new. It was about 3” deep, showered than the long cone I use with a 139mm lens for 4x5.

Rick “who has a D3 and had to make a cam for that lens, too” Denney

421-101 Lens Cone 2¾" (for 135mm lenses) (requires lens disc)
    421-102 Lens Cone 4½" (for 150mm lenses) (requires lens disc)