Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying Out An Arca D4 Tripod Head

Re: Trying Out An Arca D4 Tripod Head

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    For people who use Arca heads, how do you put on a RRS level clamp on it?
    By my way of thinking, you wouldn't need a leveling base. Because it rotates both on the bottom and on the top, the two geared tilts on the D4 themselves become the leveler. But, I'm not sure how you use your leveling base?

One minor criticism of the D4 head: I think it's an excellent head for 6x9 or 4x5, or any 35mm or medium format camera. But, I'm keeping my second 3039 head that I have for 8x10. The actual contact area between the D4 head and the tripod crown (base) is only about 1 7/8" in diameter, whereas the contact area for the 3039 is 2 5/8" in diameter. In spite of the D4's 75 lbs weight capacity, I think that the latter head may be better for a larger camera.

Plus, if ever there's a need, I can use the 3039 head with the Bogen 4"x4" quick release plate that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_b View Post
    Sounds like an Arca "Monoball Fix" clamp. Check if it fits the upper extension rails of your camera.

I think it's an option to buy their heads with the Monoball Fix clamp or the standard Arca 2-step clamp that contains both.
    I did, and it doesn't even come close. The 2-step clamp D4 was more expensive. Better to spend less than $40 on the 3rd party, non-Arca clamp that I ordered. And, the 2-step clamp looked over-complicated to me.

I was asking how do you put this on tis head?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...oaAu31EALw_wcB

Hugo,

Sorry; I misread "level" in your post to be leveler. (In fact, RRS sells a leveler as well.)

Your new clamp should easily attach to the top of the D4. One uses the correctly sized Allen wrench to remove a screw in the center of the default clamp, remove that clamp, and then perhaps even use the same screw to attach the new clamp from your B&H listing. Like the clamp you're considering, the threads in the head are also metric 6.

To attach, I would completely screw in a metric 6 screw that's long enough into the your new clamp, and then screw the clamp and screw together into the top of the D4. Like I say, you might even be able to use the same screw that came with the D4.

What kind of camera are you thinking of using with a D4 head? I ask, because the clamp that comes with the tripod head has two, thin pins that extend through the clamp and down into the top of the head. The purpose of these two pins is to prevent the clamp from rotating on top of the head.

If you're planning to use the head to hold a view camera level, then no problem. But, should you put a camera on that will sometimes need to be turned sideways, not having these pins might cause a problem. In that case, you would be better off getting an Arca Swiss clamp that's specifically designed for the D4 head.

The new clamp that I've purchased looks very similar to the one that you're considering.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I did, and it doesn't even come close. The 2-step clamp D4 was more expensive. Better to spend less than $40 on the 3rd party, non-Arca clamp that I ordered. And, the 2-step clamp looked over-complicated to me.
    I had the same initial reaction to the 2-step clamp, and changed it out for different ones. It's offset shape and steps come in handy in certain situations though, so I changed back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arca_01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	221515 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arca_02.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	221516 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arca_03.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	221517 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arca_04.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	221518

Alan,

Thanks for your post. It never occurred to me that the narrower clamp was meant for rails, versus the optical bench. As it turns out, I have Type I rails, so it wouldn't work for me. (Unless I pre-drilled holes in the bottom of the rail or shaved off the pins.)

Interesting though; the default clamp that I received completely by-passes the optical bench, or bracket. The fact that the Type II rails have extensions makes this possible. There's really no need for the bench/bracket. That also reduces the weight of the camera. Hmm. I may have to consider that avenue. After all, I have the clamp.

I'll wait to see how well my 3rd part clamps works.

It looks like you have "THE CUBE." What are your general thoughts on that thoughtful piece of equipment?

neil

Didn't Arca Swiss start putting loctite on the screws or something a few years ago so that if you wanted to change the clamp it became a factory repair?

I replaced the clamp on an old AS head but a newer head has a screw that I don't seem to be able budge.

The new clamp that I've purchased looks very similar to the one that you're considering.

It was a little tough removing mine; I had to apply quite a bit of leverage But as opposed to Loctite, the screw and threaded hole were coated with a lubricant. So, it wasn't a problem.
    Last edited by neil poulsen; 22-Nov-2021 at 07:57.

I bought one of these heads a few months ago. I'm very happy with it. It has probably spoiled me to the point where a non-geared head is not precise enough. Drawbacks? Maybe a bit heavy, maybe. I have it on a Gitzo GT4553, and it makes for a compact but sturdy tripod for travel that's high enough for me to use without crouching. Oh, the other drawback, price!

Thank you

It was a little tough removing mine; I had to apply quite a bit of leverage But as opposed to Loctite, the screw and threaded hole were coated with a lubricant. So, it wasn't a problem.