Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intellifaucet models and questions

Intellifaucet models and questions

I'm currently building out a darkroom and am interested in potentially installing an Intellifaucet. I have a few questions for those who have installed these and use them.

To keep the discussion on track, I'm aware that there are other thermostatic mixing valves offered at a wide range of prices, as well as all kinds of other water temperature management solutions. This is not a question about alternatives so please limit responses to the specifics of the Intellifaucet models only.

1. Which model do you use/ recommend and why did you choose it over the others? There are apparently 29 models (wow) so I need to narrow that down.

2. I'm only basically familiar with plumbing and am looking for something straight forward to hook up i.e. run lines from hot and cold hookups and thats it. Is this the case with the Intellifaucet? The installation diagrams are a little too abstract for me so is it as simple as connecting the hot and cold lines from the hookup?

3. I live in San Diego where it's fairly warm to hot most of the year. Does the Intellifaucet require source water temps 10 degrees cooler and hotter than the minimum and maximum desired temps like other thermostatic mixing valves?

4. Has it lasted you? Any problems? If so, how was customer support?

5. Anything else I should know?

Re: Intellifaucet models and questions

Francesco, I can't answer all your questions, but I have a D250 that I bought in 2005 and it has been basically trouble free that whole time. Around 2010 it started acting up so I called Hass and spoke with Mr. Hass who thought the problem was the power supply. They sent me a new one and it has functioned perfectly since then. I have moved house twice and reinstalled it in each new home. It is easy and direct plumbing. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself a decent handyman should be able to take care of it for you.

I really like mine...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

You have to factor in line filters too, both hot and cold, if you expect long-term reliability, unless you already have those in place. That it true of ALL tempering systems. They can supply those too if needed. Otherwise, you can get calcium build-up in the valve itself, especially in a region like San Diego.

I have the D250 low flow. It's worked great for about 20 years.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You have to factor in line filters too, both hot and cold, if you expect long-term reliability, unless you already have those in place. That it true of ALL tempering systems. They can supply those too if needed. Otherwise, you can get calcium build-up in the valve itself, especially in a region like San Diego.
    I forgot about this. So hot and cold lines require a through-filter each and then the filters output into the hot and cold lines for the Intellifaucet, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    ... It is easy and direct plumbing. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself a decent handyman should be able to take care of it for you.

I really like mine...
    Can you describe what you mean by easy direct plumbing? Was my description accurate i.e. hot and cold lines from the hookup to the hot and cold inputs on the Intellifaucet? As Drew mentioned above, I forgot about filters. Is yours hooked up as I described with the addition of through-filters between the hookups and the Intellifaucet?

There are separate hot and cold water lines to the filters and then to the Intellifaucet and a single line from the control to the sink. I used copper for everything and assume other materials also work just fine pursuant to local code (if you care).

Richard Wasserman

Drew Wiley

You need separate kinds of filters for the hot and cold lines, and need to periodically replace the filter elements inside, depending on water quality variables in house and region in general. I can't even remember if I have an Intellifaucet on hand in storage or another brand. I'm kinda lazy and stalling about crawling way back under that big sink to put in the new lines I need. For really nitpicky work like matching-curve color separations, I have an industrial thermoregulator having even tighter control than an Intellifaucet, namely within 1/10th F. But for ordinary black and white needs that is total overkill. And its own biggest issue is calcium and rust contamination.

Around here, calcium is mainly symptomatic of hot water out of water heaters, and rust and grit of those seasons of rainfall so heavy that a bit of grit gets through the main line. Here in the immediate Bay Area, aqueducts bring in high quality Sierra snowmelt water. But in much of the State, including San Diego, the water is harder, so there is risk of calcium build-up through cold water line too. A good local supplier for water line filters in most cities is Grainger, a nationwide chain. But I'm sure there are numerous online sources too.

Thanks very much for the follow ups.

Another question. Regarding the power supply, is it a standard corded adapter that plugs into the wall or does the power require more complicated set up?

standard corded adapter that plugs into the wall

Richard Wasserman

Thanks everyone. This has been a huge help!

Can anyone explain the differences between the D250, D375, K250, K375 etc? Looking at the website, it's not very clear what the differences are.