Thread: Intrepid 4x5 and 65mm lenses

Intrepid 4x5 and 65mm lenses

Does anyone know if a 65mm lens will work on an Intrepid 4x5 using a recessed lens board?

When the Intrepid first came out they said it was possible, but when I asked them recently they said the widest they have tested is 75mm.

Re: Intrepid 4x5 and 65mm lenses

My take is no. 75mm is as wide as you can go I think.
    But there are other solutions.
    All discussed here:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ead.php?156654
    Lasse Thomasson | Instagram

Please post which specific 65mm lens you are using and if you know, the flange-focal distance.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I just purchased (August 2023) an Intrepid Black 4x5 which I believe is a version 5. I can confirm that YES a 65mm lens works: the multicoated writing-on-the-barrel Fujinon NSWD 65mm f5.6 lens Copal shutter mounted in a 21mm recessed lens board focusses at infinity with 3 to 5mm of back focus, but the bellows are compressed and limit all movement other than front tilt and a small amount of rise and fall (mostly only fall because the front standard needs to be raised, see note below).

That model Fujinon lens has a longer flange distance (73.4mm) than comparable lenses: for example, the Nikkor SW 65mm f4 is 70.8mm and the Schneider Super Angulon XL 65mm f5.6 is 72.5mm (older SA f5.6 are 71.4mm, SA f8 are 70.5) and that couple of millimetres matters. When the optical axis is correctly centred on the front standard the base bed does not appear in the image in portrait orientation. Note that earlier writing-on-the-front SWD 65mm f5.6 lenses also have 73.4mm flange focus but are mounted in Seiko shutters which cannot be fitted into recessed Linhof Technika boards.

A note about the zero mark on the front standard: I did some optical-axis testing with a laser-level and the indicated zero point is probably for an Intrepid lens board (I say probably, because I don't have one to test) which (probably) has the hole positioned on the physical centre of the board. A standard Linhof Technika "offset" cut board is significantly lower, about 14mm, which (possibly by chance) lines up with the end of a small screw below the factory zero mark. A "centre-hole" Linhof board is above the screw hole by 5mm or 7mm or whatever the offset is.

More generally, I'm very impressed with the camera. It has needed a bit of fettling, but I do that with all my cameras anyway, and what you get for the money is incredible.
    Last edited by Vaughan; 21-Aug-2023 at 16:25.

Thanks for all that info. As you point out a 65mm on an Intrepid may or may not work, depending on the Intrepid model (???), as well as the lens flange focal length. There are several different recessed boards with different dimensions -- off-set amount, depth, and width -- and don't forget that pesky cable release connection! Getting everything working correctly may some trial & error.