Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are there any fast Dialyte ~10" lenses

Question Are there any fast Dialyte ~10" lenses

Hey guys,

I'm searching for a lens to use for UV alt process enlargements. I've been talking with a guy who has already built a UV enlarger, and he has found that uncoated dialyte lenses are the best for UV transmission. He's using a kodak enlarging ektar 4" f/4.5, which is a dialyte lens, but the 10" f/4.5 version is a tessar type, not a dialyte. There is a 10" f/8 dialyte version, but that is a stop slower, which for alt processes could be significant. Do any of you know if there exists an approximately 10" or 240mm dialyte lens with a maximum aperture around f/5.6?

Thanks,
    Ethan

[edit: I should mention that I need the 10" or 240mm focal length since I'm enlarging 8x10]

Re: Are there any fast Dialyte ~10" lenses

You could use a 305mm Repro Claron- 4 elements in 4 groups, although I have no idea if it would work for enlarging 8x10 in an enlarger configuration. In a camera configuration at infinity it will not cover 8x10. They usually are coated though and contain a much different type of glass than a Kodak Enlarging Ektar. This may or may not be good for UV transmission..

I once had a Goerz S-Dagor (or maybe Dagor-S?) which was a 10" f4.5 dialyte. I was told it was originally for reproduction.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    You could use a 305mm Repro Claron- 4 elements in 4 groups, although I have no idea if it would work for enlarging 8x10 in an enlarger configuration. In a camera configuration at infinity it will not cover 8x10. They usually are coated though and contain a much different type of glass than a Kodak Enlarging Ektar. This may or may not be good for UV transmission..
    thanks for your suggestion. Are there any repro clarons faster than f/9? thats what most of them seem to be, but if there are faster ones I might give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I once had a Goerz S-Dagor (or maybe Dagor-S?) which was a 10" f4.5 dialyte. I was told it was originally for reproduction.
    Are you sure it was a dagor? All dagors are 6 element double anastigmat style (same as plasmat) to my knowledge. Dagor is an abbreviation of "Doppel Anastigmat GOeRz" I believe.

Look for a Dogmar or Celor, both Goerz lenses.

It was labled Dagor-S or S-Dagor, but was not a 6/2 design, it was 4/4.

(Shrek)

I wonder if you should be looking at photocopier lenses, I seem to recall taking apart a fast Fuji that was a dialyt.

Edit: I found the lens, 8 strong reflections, Fujinon-Xerox 260/5.6, no aperture, threading over entire barrel with 2 locking rings. Mine is in rather poor condition, but that probably wouldn't matter for your purposes. I obviously never took it apart to clean because it's filthy. They used to be pretty cheap on fleabay. Still are, I just found 2 for US$20 ea, and f4.5 though those might be Tessars.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Look for a Dogmar or Celor, both Goerz lenses.
    I just found a pamphlet about the Dogmar, but with the Celor being a symmetric design it will probably work better. Many thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    It was labled Dagor-S or S-Dagor, but was not a 6/2 design, it was 4/4.
    are you sure it wasn't a 6/4?