Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modified Surveying Tripod, Dutch Hill_Bolex.

Modified Surveying Tripod, Dutch Hill_Bolex.

Reply to this discussion which touched on Surveying Tripods.
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...-Horseman-8x10

Some years ago this Dutch Hill Surveying Tripod was modified using the top bowel assembly from a Bolex cine camera tripod. It remains one of the best outdoor tripods to date. This tripod is tough, rugged, durable, stable and has held up in ways expected from a Surveying Tripod and high quality cinema camera bowl head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dutch Hill_Bolex up.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	221323

Name:	Dutch Hill_Bolex bowel.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	221324

With Sinar Pan-Tilt head.\, Bolex bowel head tilted.

Name:	Dutch Hill_Bolex, Sinar pan-tilt.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	221325

With Sinar Norma.

Name:	Dutch Hill & Sinar Norma.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	221326

Wood remains one of the preferred Surveying Tripod materials due to it's stability, alternative is the Dutch Hill composite which is pretty good. Less favored is Aluminum as it is less stable, not as durable, not as tough-rugged (Aluminum dents, corrodes, does not damp vibrations well, changes dimensions with temperature (less of a problem with still Fotos) but lower weight.

Read this Surveying Tripod buying guide:
    https://engineerwarehouse.com/blogs/...d-buying-guide

Good wood Surveying Tripods are not expensive for what they do.
    https://engineerwarehouse.com/collec...veying-tripods

https://www.capitalsurveyingsupplies...IaAnaxEALw_wcB

Surveying Tripod standard connection is 5/8"-11 Tpi. Apply the adapter needed to convert this to 3/8"-16 for Foto stuff.

Stay away from cheap-O Surveying Tripod like that "Bosch" item previously mentioned. These are not gonna work good at all.

Bernice
    Last edited by Bernice Loui; 16-Nov-2021 at 14:15.

Re: Modified Surveying Tripod, Dutch Hill_Bolex.

Great 'pod!!! One wooden cine tripod I use is a well worn large Miller with a large bowl, but still has the Arri fluid head working on it (Air Force surplus)... A little bulky, but not super heavy to carry around (like my Saltzman all metal)...

My big pods go into a hard shell golf club case (with little wheelies) to move around and store...

Been shooting this recently??? I hope you are feeling better...
    :-)

Steve K

Drew Wiley

Bingo. Those yellow/orange clad ones on Bernice's link are simply private label CST Bergger tripods. I had them private label in quantity for our company too. And I forecast the current price pretty close at $200. The heavier model I had in mind, suitable for 8x10, and which is the one I mainly sold for actual survey purposes, is listed on the second page of that link for $204. But the $150 one on the first page would probably be fine for most 4x5 or 5X7 purposes; I once sold those too. And yes, among the customers were not only contractors, but view camera photographers on a budget. But it's important to get a standard flat-platform model, and not a domed top.

Beware of Chinese knockoffs. They might look identical, but once they unexpectedly collapse and your camera or theodolite gets broken, you'll wish you had done your homework first.

For awhile, Dutch Hill made a photo version of their tripods, but it must not have sold very well. Surveyor tripods are great in the muck, as you can stomp the huge feet into the ground, and the system become very stable.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I use is a well worn large Miller with a large bowl, but still has the Arri fluid head working on it (Air Force surplus)
    I have had and used two (head modified) surveying tripods and one (unmodified) wooden Miller cine tripod in the past. The Miller was far superior to the surveying tripods. Now use two, one large and one really large, Ries tripods for LF and ULF shooting. But when it comes to shooting with 120 cameras, I find the Miller much more convenient to use... plus it weighs a less and is a lot easier to carry around.

I've used the photo version of the Dutch Hill for 8x10 for many years. It's weight to performance ratio punches well above its class. I've been totally satisfied with it.

Not all surveying tripods are the same, some are excellent, others Meh... Generally speaking surveying tripods tend to have a higher performance to cost ratio than Foto tripods.

Outdoors, the good quality surveying tripods can take a LOT more abuse and be absolutely stable over the majority of common Foto tripods. Had the big Gitzo get clogged up with outdoor goo which required taking the legs apart to clean. These days, the Gitzo is used indoors only. The Bogen/Manfrotto are ok for low cost tripods that are ok for small roll film cameras, Had the leg locks slip requiring adjustment, often flimsy center column that is not stable, legs are sorta ok..

These days, the Dutch Hill always does outdoors with Norma, indoors is the no center column big Gitzo, small ball head Bogen/Manfrotto are lightweight mirrorless digital only. One other aluminum leg tripod worth mention of GOOD cost -vs- value Davis Sanford with the rectangular legs, they are ok..

Miller is know in the cinema / video folks for their fluid heads and high quality wood tripod legs.
    http://www.millercanada.com/manuals/...niversary).pdf

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    I've used the photo version of the Dutch Hill for 8x10 for many years. It's weight to performance ratio punches well above its class. I've been totally satisfied with it.
    I wish I had bought one when they were available.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Dutch Hill P900 Photographic tripod, might still be avaialble.
    http://www.stakemill.com/tripods/dut...ipod-p-900tall

Note the all legs out configuration, good for low angle camera set ups.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I wish I had bought one when they were available.

That's good to know, Bernice. Thanks!